Home Forums Tech Talk Adding 40 pounds…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Troy V Smith
      Participant

I usually run in Honda stock light class at 385 pounds.  To reach that 385 pounds, I have bolted 15 pounds onto the back of my seat.  I am attempting to run S4 for an upcoming race which will require additional 20 pounds be bolted up somewhere.  Any suggestions as to where I should bolt another 20#?  I will most certainly scale the kart after, but just wondering if I would be better just bolting it all to the seat from the start, or try to distribute the weight around the kart a bit?  It is a Monza chassis with a stock Honda cr125. Thanks…

We may not be the fastest on the track...but we're having the most fun!
      https://www.facebook.com/wearekarters

James McMahon
      Participant

Front of the frame is a good spot for it too. Dont think you’ll get 20 on there though. Maybe 10, then put the remainder on the seat. You can usually put 5lbs underneath the seat between it and the center frame rail.

Ray Lovestead
      Participant

Do like I do, strap it to your gut.  Just start a program that sounds something like this:

1. McDonalds

2. Wendy’s

3. Burger King

4. Repeat

"Karting Expert Since 2015"

Juan David Gomez
      Participant

Inside the frame works well.
      Find some lead pebbles and you can add a lot of weight.

Troy V Smith
      Participant

Good idea, but is adding lead shot into the frame a legal alternative?  Be a bad day for everyone if the bumper ever came loose??

James McMahon
      Participant

A lot of orgs ban lead shot, yes at the least you would need to figure out a way to plug it properly.

Steve Libretto
      Participant

Lead shot in the frame is a very bad idea as far as handling. The weight will transfer way to much under acceleration, braking & cornering. I’d bet that anyone who has tried this has realized it’s a bad idea. The only way you could POSSIBLY get it to work, would be to use a two part foam to plug the frame both before and after inserting the shot, effectively packing the weight in, and not allowing it to move at all. But it’s going to be a hell of a time removing it. Lastly, I’ve always felt its best to mount weight somewhere within the envelope of between the front and rear wheels. The torque that the weight would have could also really cause serious handling problems IMHO.

Larry Hayashigawa
      Participant

If you need to add 40# then you are likely on the shorter side and your center of gravity will be too low to begin with.  Putting more weight down low will lower the C of G even further.   The additional static weight from the 40#s will increase the rear tire load an additional ~12#, which will make it that much more difficult to lift and keep the inside rear hiked up in the corner.  Moving the weight higher on the kart will help get the chassis to twist and lift the inside rear.   So I would think the best place to put weight is on the seat.

Maybe.

Larry

bo rougeou
      Participant

I concur with Larry.  Any weight added under the seat will just make the kart heavy and a slug to tune.  Any weight you add needs to be above the frame or your kart will be a handful and you will never get it to work.  This is the gospel from the book of hard knocks.

Troy V Smith
      Participant

Thanks for all the replies guys – will be adding the 40 during the week.  I am 5’10”, just a skinny runt, so will try to get 25 mounted to the mid seat back and the remaining 15,  split the difference under the front seat left and right.  I’ll be using pieces of lead which should let me move pieces around if needed.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.