Home Forums General Karting Discussion A good suggestion for a helmet

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Bob Spedding 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Bob Spedding
    Participant

I am looking for a new helmet for my son. Do you guys have any preferences as to brands?

Bell, HJC, etc….

Morgan Schuler
    Participant

I’ve had Bell, Arai, and now a HJC. I liked all of them but they do all fit different. If you can, try them on before buying. Most online places, like Safe Racer, let you order a few and send back the ones you don’t like or fit.

If you want an unbiased opinion on quality, call any of the helmet painters. They take apart helmets every day.

TJ Koyen

I always recommend Arai first because the fit and finish is second-to-none. Bell, Sparco, Stilo, HJC are all good alternatives.

Fit is the most important quality of the helmet and every helmet fits everyone a little differently. Arais and Bells are different shapes and most people either fit one or the other.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Bob Spedding
    Participant

Thanks guys.  What about pricing ?  I know it’s your head but are you spending $600(Arai) or are you spending more like $300?  I’m not trying to skimp, but I am starting from scratch so having to buy a kart, engine, safety equipment, fuel and everything else to get going , I am trying to keep any expenses as low as possible. But I do understand about not going cheap when it comes to safety.   But what is your budget for a helmet? And does paying big bucks really make a huge difference in quality?

Craig Drabik
    Participant

If you’re looking in the $300 range, I like my Impact.

TJ Koyen

If you’re just starting, you can save a bit of money and go with something on the lower end of your budget and be fine. They are all approved and safe, you’re mostly paying for quality of assembly, padding, fitment, weight (or lack of) and fit and finish.

Bell is a quality brand that offers helmets in a wide price range. I always recommend something from Bell if you aren’t willing to drop all that coin on Arai.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Chuck hurlbert
    Participant

I have no opinion on brands but i do on price. I bought an hjc 4 years ago for $100. Good helmet but i am looking to replace it already for a couple reasons. Its falling apart, im not saying im rough with it but debris in the face does add up. Second and a big deal to me now is weight. I run a shifter and the g’s to go with it. After a 10 minute race my shoulder/neck are exhausted. Much of this is physical condition but a lighter helmet would help alot.

Daniel Justice
    Participant

I also need some helmet buying advice. In 2015 I may be running a laydown enduro so I don’t think my HJC AR-10 will do the job, aero wise. It hasn’t done me any favors in my laydown sprint kart. Would a motorcycle be any better or worse? I’m looking at the Bell Revolver Evo right now. The price is really good also. My only concern would be the chin area as your head is forced down in an enduro kart.

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Daniel — I’m a HJC dealer and have the add-on aero spoiler that would fix your aero issue, I think.  Drop me a PM if you’re interested.  Are you having issues with front end lift or buffeting?  The way the spoiler is constructed, it should fit several brands and models…

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

Daniel Justice
    Participant

Hey Ted,

Yes, front end lift is the problem I’m having. I found out a major issue with it lifting was obviously from my go pro being mounted on top. I took that off but there is still some lifting. I’d be very interested in any aero addons you have, any more information on them?

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Here’s the rear spoiler….I have a chin spoiler available too, but most blend them into the helmet pre-paint.  I don’t know if it would work to glue on finished helmet or not…  Rear can be added anytime.

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

Daniel Justice
    Participant

I’m definitely interested, anything to keep my helmet and head pointed down towards the guys in front. Last resort would be to run a pull down strap but let’s try to avoid that. How much does the rear spoiler retail? I don’t know if I want a wing on the chin as not to impair my ability to look down in a laydown.

AJ Reuter
    Participant

Daniel,

bell GP2 with the bell rear spoiler wing, it has a small lip spoiler ans gives very little lift. ive had it on at daytona in controlled, and my dad has worn his in BSTOCK. OG has them

Daniel Justice
    Participant

Hey AJ, I’ve been interested in getting a Bell helmet at some point, but right now I can’t take the $600 hit. Not when I want to run Reedjet next year haha. I’ll try to make the HJC work though. Speaking of the Reedjet, I wanted to talk to you about the engine. Looking to run 100 Controlled next year, but I might stick with the KT100. I’ll message you about it.

Dan Schlosser
    Participant

How old is your son Bob? That would drastically affect my answer on helmets.

AJ Reuter
    Participant

Also, having worked for a safety shop, the best answer to this question is the one that fits your head, everybody has a slight different shape. I fit in a bell really well, and my brother cant wear one comfortable. go to a place you can try them on and try on several.

AJ

Bob Spedding
    Participant

Thanks. he is 14 to soon be 15.

Bob Spedding
    Participant

One of our local stores carry HJC and Arai. But at the moment I can’t afford the Arai. And the HJC for about $150(forgot the model number) seems like it isn’t as good as the more expensive models just because of pricing. :(

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.