Home Forums TaG Rotax Max 12.5 vs 8.5

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Bob Baldwin 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

bruce kapanke
    Participant

Got a motor with a 12.5 on it. Any problems switching it over to a 8.5? Thanks for any help given.

Mike Maurini
    Participant

Hi Bruce,

Carb can easily be changed over to an 8.5. You will have to run a slightly richer main jet but other than that, you will be good to go. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mike Maurini

bruce kapanke
    Participant

Mike,

Thanks. Gave me the info I needed.

bruce

Joe Morales
    Participant

I’m wondering why? Why the change? Is it to our advantage or disadvantage?

Bob Baldwin
    Blocked

mike : Your comment about switching from a 12 to an 8 in the Carb . Being out of Rotax a few years , I was planning on buying a weather station and getting the proper software to determine the best jetting . Should I be holding out on that or will the Proper software have to be re-configured . ?

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Bob, most all jetting software has a means of calibrating the software a small percentage for your specific carb/engine combo.  So in the beginning you need to experiment a wee bit and dial the software in.  But then it becomes pretty much enter the weather data and go with few exceptions. 

None of the software I’m aware of have the venturi as a spec.  Most all do have float weight/idle jet & emulsion tube size/needle type/spark plug/and float arm height.

Nick Weil
    Participant

Bob,

When are you getting back into a kart!?

Bob Baldwin
    Blocked

nick : for the Grandson if I can put the $$$ together 

Slim pickings for Rotax here in the midwest . Nearest about a 7 hour drive one way Michiana

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.