Home Forums General Karting Discussion Seeking opinion – Is a 15 yr old safe in a 125 shifter kart? Reply To: Seeking opinion – Is a 15 yr old safe in a 125 shifter kart?

Jim Derrig
Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Dave Rutter wrote:</div>
My question to you fathers out there – is it reasonable to move right from Yamaha to Shifter with one season experience?

Without knowing the driver, this question cannot be answered with any degree of confidence.  And if it can’t be answered with any degree of confidence, then it is irresponsible to answer it “yes.”

But we’re racers so its part of our make up :)

I’ve raced shifters against 15 year olds who I trust on the track more than most 40 year olds.  I’ve raced shifters against 15 year olds who were fast as heck but were totally out of their element in terms of race craft and handling traffic.  Medical science says that until our early 20’s the part of our brain associated with making rational judgments is not fully developed.  That’s an average and there are many exceptions.  But playing the averages and considering only one year of experience, I’d say the question should be answered “no.”  Besides, TJ is dead on about developing technique slowly and with patience.