Home Forums General Karting Discussion Advice On New Kart Reply To: Advice On New Kart

TJ Koyen

Hi William,

Welcome to the show!

It sounds like you’re on the right path going LO206, it’s a great class to start out in and provides plenty of action and minimal headaches.

I don’t know specifically what the local kart shops are to you, but I would imagine someone at the track could point you in the right direction on that as well. Typically kart shops will have some packages, either rollers or complete karts, new and used, that they can help set you up with. I would recommend finding out what brands are supported in your area, so you know you have a source for replacement parts and tuning advice on your specific chassis.

I would go with something used first, as you’re really not going to be able to tell the difference between a new or used chassis when you’re just getting your feet wet. Especially in LO206, I feel having a new chassis is less important. I would also be looking for a complete package if possible. It just eliminates trying to piece a kart together with parts that you aren’t even sure are compatible with your chassis or whatnot. You’ll save yourself some money and lots of time/headache if you can find a complete used setup.

The main thing to look for in a used kart is making sure the frame is straight and checking for flat spots on the bottom of the frame rails. A kart that is really flatted-out isn’t going to last long and probably won’t handle the way you want it to, regardless of what adjustments you throw at it. Straightness you sort of just have to eye-ball, but generally I’ve found most people in the karting industry, especially local shops that have a customer base at the track, are honest people and can give you a run-down of the kart’s history.

Your $3k budget is more than enough, so that’s good. Just don’t blow it all on the kart and then have nothing left to buy spare parts for when you inevitably bend a tie-rod or spindle as you start getting a little braver on-track and make some rookie mistakes! We all have done it. Other than having the proper safety equipment, it’s good to have the basic tools you’ll need to work on the kart if you don’t already have them. So a metric socket set and a nice set of metric Allen wrenches will typically cover almost every piece on the kart. Also good to have some chain lube and some brake cleaner/starting fluid to clean the kart after each session and keep everything lubed and ready to go. Kart shops typically can sell you that stuff too, though sometimes it’s cheaper at the hardware/auto parts store.

Good luck! Maybe someone on here who’s local can point you in the direction of some of the nearby kart shops.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
www.instagram.com/oktanevisual