Home Forums General Karting Discussion Advice to a Newbie Reply To: Advice to a Newbie

Craig Drabik
Participant

So..  just a few cents of advice from my own personal experience.

I currently run the F-Series (not the state championship).  I like it a lot.  I’d take a bit of an issue with it being “for all skill levels”.  I’d say that if you’re a decent driver, you’ll have someone to race with in TaG or F125 and you probably won’t be in the way too much.  If you’re a newbie or one of the slow guys, you’re going to find yourself frustrated by what you perceive to be lack of manners from the fast guys, who in turn will be frustrated that they’re sharing the track with guys in the same class who are a few seconds a lap slower than they are.  Do yourself a favor and go club racing and learn to race before stepping up to a faster stage.

I started out racing Briggs World Formula – think of it as an LO206 with Yamaha KT-100 levels of power.  It’s an awesome platform for people looking to have fun on the track.  It ran with no rebuilds and just oil changes and pump gas.  My Leopards need rebuilds every 10 hours (at least).  I typically spring for two rebuilds a year.  They run on race gas and 2-stroke oil, which winds up being $15 a gallon.  TaGs burn up tires faster ($225 a set).  Chains on a TaG are disposable unless you run O-ring or Panther chains, and they’re like $60-$80 a pop.  Your costs on an ongoing basis are much, much higher.

Finally – and I’m sure this isn’t going to be a popular statement – TaG is too fast for a new guy.  You’ll learn more, spend less, have more fun, and get better faster with a lower-power class.  Jumping into TaG is like skipping Formula Ford and F4 and jumping right into F3.

I can’t speak specifically to the class structures at E-Town, NJMP, and OVRP but I imagine it isn’t TaG or nothing.  Look for a stock 4-cycle class or Yamaha KT-100 class and start there.  Learn to race, learn to work on the kart, learn to tune the carb if you run 2-cycle.  Get a handle on the expenses and how much of a budget you have to race with, then step up to faster equipment or regional and national competition when you’re ready.

Shameless plug:  I’ve got two Arrow chassis for sale in the Buffalo area :)