Home Forums General Karting Discussion Cornering Question Reply To: Cornering Question

Rob Kozakowski
Participant

I’m no expert.  But there is some very recent advice out there from some of the best that I’ve shared below, where you’ll find one very important and consistent talking point – minimizing the steering inputs…

From David Cole’s latest On-Track article:

“One piece of input that Boswell had for me was to slow my hands down and provide less input into the wheel. He compared me to driving a dirt car, turning the wheel multiple times through a corner rather than a consistent, smooth process from entry to apex to exit.”

From David Sera’s latest Deadly Kart newsletter:

“To be a smooth driver, you need to be aware of the steering inputs you are making and ensure it’s minimal on flowing corners. This will enable the kart to grip to its full potential and your mistakes will be minimal.

When holding the steering wheel, a 9-3 hand placement is the safest option. Also straighter arms when sitting in the kart will minimise the inputs placed on the wheel.”

I’d suggest it’s easiest to understand how this applies on a real fast (no lift) corner, where most of us at some point have added too much steering input and caused the kart to suddenly transfer weight, turn violently, and scrub huge speed, etc.

Where it’s harder to really understand for the less experienced guys (and even seasoned guys like me have a hard time applying it) is probably on the slow, tight corners.  In order to get around these corners, you need to get the correct amount of steering input combined with good timing thereof, especially on initial turn-in, to get the kart to jack and unload the inside rear tire properly, or else the kart won’t handle properly, often leading to chasing chassis setup, when the handling issues are actually due to bad driving.  Too much input, and you get loose… too little, you push.  Beyond that point, you want to remove steering input very smoothly.  Basically, it’s a fast, but smooth initial turn-in (get the kart to jack), followed by a very smooth and consistent removal of steering input (allowing the kart to roll around the corner and to settle the rear back down smoothly without robbing horsepower), while also being mindful of when you get back on the throttle (if it’s too early and with too much steering input still applied, you’ll scrub speed).   For a slower corner, minimizing input doesn’t necessarily mean that the steering input is the same throughout the entire corner (feeling like a perfect semi-circle might not really be best), rather that the process is very smooth right from the transition from straight to initial turn-in, on to the removal of steering input.

The reality is that without any visual of what you’re experiencing and not knowing the profile of the corner(s) you’re talking about, it’s nearly impossible to say whether your traction issues are driver-induced (poor steering, braking, throttle inputs, or line selection), or chassis-induced, or some combo thereof.

However, in my experience, as well as based on the advice above, I would disagree completely with your idea that you want to be constantly counter-steering.