Home Forums General Karting Discussion Why are karts so expensive? Reply To: Why are karts so expensive?

Dan Brown
Participant

Care to tells us how much you spend in 1 year for karting? Also, what level are you racing at? Still no explanation why a bare frame can run up to $3k. Numbers are not there. Seems like the name and its reputation will dictate the price. People are willing to pay that much if they perceive that it gives them .1 seconds advantage over the competition? I have been racing something since the early 80’s. I have won a lot of races in many different disciplines from MX to nationally sanctioned cars. Have won at the regional, state and local levels. Have qualified in national events, etc. I have always been able to do it on a shoe string budget. If you think you he who spends the most wins, you are part of the reason that everything is so expensive. People with attitudes like your’s will kill the sport in the long run. Sorry, but couldn’t resist.

Actually the numbers are there. A small mom and pop shop back in the day bending tubing and hand welding it could keep costs down. Todays karts are so much more advanced than that. The countless hours of engineering, design, testing etc. are what makes the prices what they have become. Plus, think about the insurance that the manufacturers have to carry. Everyone is lawsuit happy these days, so liability insurance costs are insane.  As Paul mentioned, a new Coyote chassis can be bought for a reasonable price. Nothing against Coyote, but if they were capable of winning a SKUSA or USPKS  championship then everyone would be racing one and winning with it. There are some decent karts available reasonably priced, and the Extreme is one of them. It’s an excellent choice for club level or entry level karting, but do race with the best you have to drive the best and that costs money.

Dan