Home Forums General Karting Discussion Kart Life TV Show Reply To: Kart Life TV Show

David Cole
Keymaster

Here is a great recap, which I could not have written any better, by Jim Conlin

I’ve been reading some of the comments about the Kart Life premier last night. Holy cow. For 15 years I have listened to people whine and complain about how the great sport of karting never gets the TV exposure it deserves. It finally does and all these people do is whine and complain about editing and that its not how they would have done it. Frankly I was expecting much worse.

But what this morning’s comments reveal most is that karting has it’s own version of the 99% vs 1% economic tension. 99% of kart racers are revolted that 1% are spending exorbitant amounts of money on karting.

News Flash: The network executives know their audience and the people commenting on karting pages and forums aren’t them.

News Flash: At the very top level several kids are being fast tracked to professional careers. If you race several classes almost every weekend almost year round all over the country, it is going to be expensive. Easily over $100k if you want to hire the best services to give the kid their best chance.

News Flash: There’s just as much parent drama in soccer, baseball, gymnastics, you name it. That’s the American culture in the 21st century. It’s just that those sports last an hour or two as opposed to three 14 hour days.

News Flash: Entry level club racing where people are racing economically isn’t compelling enough for a TV show. Sorry. But if you think it is or if you think nothing could be more intense than your local club races you’ve never been to a national level kart race.

News Flash: There is no such thing as bad publicity. Go out and educate your local potential kart racers. Kart Life has given you an amazing opportunity to bring new people into the sport. Go make the most of it.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor