Home Forums General Karting Discussion State of karting in USA Reply To: State of karting in USA

Shawn Welte
Participant

I do understand why kart prices are what they are.  We build our own oval chassis and if people price out the parts and then figure in the labor to bend up and weld up the frame and then powdercoat or paint it, people would understand the price that the manufacturers charge.  Its like buying fold up kart stands for $300 – 400, and I hear people complain, why is not $150.  If you built one or priced out the steel, the wheels/casters, then figured the time and the welding, the paint/powdercoat, you would know why.

I saw someone say 4 cycle bodywork is holding things back, I find that crazy, in a LO206 class on a sprint course CIK and Gold Cup bodywork differences are so small in my opinion.  They can run together and around here often do.  There are an awful lot of older Gold Cup bodied karts out there and if you want to grow the sport with an entry level LO206 class you should not limit the bodywork.  See the above conversation regarding the high cost of a new chassis!  If you did that in the Midwest you are likely cutting out 45-50% of the karts available in some of the areas.

I run about a half dozen Vintage Karting Association events a year for fun.  The VKA is experiencing in my opinion many of the similar things that modern karting is experiencing:  How to interest people, especially younger people, in this case the under 35 crowd.  And how to find people that work on their own stuff in particular the older motors, many of the chassis are simple, but take skill to build or rebuild.  I’m in my 40s and rarely are there more than a handful of people younger than me running at the events that I attend.  And I’m not so sure VKA as an organization really cares, there must be something about becoming an acronym in karting that deafens the leadership to the average karter.

Bug - Alley Kat II - McCulloch - Coyote - B&S LO206