Home Forums General Karting Discussion State of karting in USA Reply To: State of karting in USA

Ted Hamilton
Participant

IMO, until the focus returns to growing karting instead of how to make money off of karting, the dilemma will continue.  In many ways, I see it as a microcosm of the short-term-profit focus of business — instead of offering a superior product and focusing on customer satisfaction, businesses go for the maximum short-term shareholder benefit — to the detriment of the product.  Never forget — it’s the product that attracts people and sells — neglect it and die.

The struggling American consumer wants, imo, something that:

1) can be raced virtually anywhere

2) is affordable

3) doesn’t take all week to prepare

4) has rules and configuration stability

Perhaps that explains why the KT-100 is surviving ( I wouldn’t call it thriving…) while everything else but the LO206 (which fits most of the above criteria too) is fading…

A domestic 2-cycle offering would be nice — a la Copperhead 820 — but the lure of exotic Italian machinery and the hollow promise of untold riches for importing them has too much hold for any real domestic success, I think.  The closest would be Riley Will’s BRC150, which would be an awesome Pro class…as would the NordAm.

I’m curious to see what the WKA fallout will be….a strong, sport-driven leader could help fix things, whereas more importer and manufacturer pandering will give us a deeper quagmire.  Time will tell.

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100