Home Forums General Karting Discussion Spec Racing Is Here – What Engine(s) will you be racing in 2015? Reply To: Spec Racing Is Here – What Engine(s) will you be racing in 2015?

Charles Kaneb
Participant

What: 2007 Margay Brava, Maxter MX-L ICA, Chrysler Cirrus airbox, old Kawasaki snowmobile radiator, some interesting home-fabricated parts.

Where: East Lansing Kart Track, Point Pelee Kart Centre (if I can come up with a good way to get past Customs and Border Protection – they are convinced I am coming over to set up as a carpenter or mechanic whenever I bring over tools), local autocrosses.

Why: Spec racing can go and jump in a lake – it gets rid of all of the fun of the winters in the garage. My engine package cost less than $1,000 and is faster than the TaGs when it’s not saddled with 180+ lbs of Detroit muscle behind the wheel. It cost $330 for Stoney Creek to rebuild it this winter after ten hours of use this year. If East Lansing will let me do it, I’m going to run Ayrton-style (with no plastics) at least once. Kevin Haun at East Lansing has made karting affordable for Michiganders by accident – the curbs are so ferocious and the track so grippy and tight that there’s no sense having an expensive chassis or engine.