Home Forums Tech Talk Go Kart Racing Telemetry by remote control Reply To: Go Kart Racing Telemetry by remote control

Robert Horvath
Participant

Chris Reinhart,

Are we on the same page on this thing ?   Or am I missing something ?

You Say > “There’s some better packages out there…..”

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__508__172__FPV_Telemetry-FrSky_Telemetry.html

All I see is a Temp Sensor that won’t do the one most important reading  > “EGT”

From what I read it doesn’t read to over  250 degrees

FrSky TEMS-01 Telemetry Temperature Sensor (for use with FrSky Telemetry Sensor Hub)

Up to two temperature sensors can be used at the same time. They are commonly used to read temperatures of model accessories, such as electric motor, ESC, glow and gas engine cylinder head, battery, muffler, voltage regulator, BEC, tail pipe and ambient air.

Measurement Range: -20~250 degrees Celsius/ -4~482 degrees Fahrenheit

Accuracy: 1 degree Celsius/ 1 degree Fahrenheit
Installation: Use zip ties to hold the temperature sensor tightly against the accessory that requires temperature reading.

In fact > although the telemetry system can read back all the engine’s parameters….I probably will just do the “EGT” And  “GPs Speed” as the rest are somewhat irrelevant to racing.

You Say > “Nicad’s, really? Hmm High Tech….”

So then > What battery do suggest as I have tried them all and Nicad’s Stand up the best to the engines vibration with the Carb, Receiver, Servos And Battery all being fully self contained on the carb itself.

Note the lithium-ion battery  is the first one to give up the ghost !

photo DSCN7248.jpg

Some of these negative comments are what all us innovators come to expect after a period of time.

When Edison invented the “Light Bulb” people said “We don’t need it …Kerosene is working just fine for a lamp.

Or when I bought a Electronic Paddle shifting unit from Europe and installed it on our Kart.

Link :

http://www.mechatron-kart.com/me-shifter-f1.html

Even my close friends  scoffed at the Idea of paddle shifting.

But by the end of the season they all switched over to the paddle system…It makes driving a shifter such a breeze and safer too with both hands on the wheel.

On a very short track like our 6/10 mile tight twisty track..I’ll go head to head with any bump shifter out there and when is all said and done the paddle driver with be a lot less fatigued and will have felt like he was in a Big Indy Car to boot.

You Say > “Cool tinkering, but waaaaaay too involved for a kart…”

Why Not ?

Here is a photo below of the finished machine… All set for the 2014 seasons with almost all of my inventions on it.

It doesn’t look too complicated to me for a kart .

photo DSCN6994-1.jpg

Ocono Bob