Home Forums General Karting Discussion What form of engine did you begin your karting career with? Reply To: What form of engine did you begin your karting career with?

Jason Bane
Participant

I had no motorsports experience, but started in Rotax. I blew it up in my first race due to improper jetting or maybe old bottom end.  Fortunately Eric Jones took pity on me and made me a good deal on another motor to get me back up and racing again. Ran Rotax for a year before switching to a CR125.  I love the shifter, but I do miss the TaG as well, but Rotax parts were pricey. Maybe one day funds will allow me to run 2 karts, shifter and a leopard or X30.

I think the L206 is a great option for new karters.  I haven’t been in one, but the many that I have seen at the track looked fun and very economical.  If I ran a track, I would find a way to run a combo of 4 cycles at the same time, adjusting weight to help make them close.   Have a used tire only spec rule, you couldn’t put the kart on the ground with new tires, except in practice.   TaG and shifter karts could sell their used take offs cheap, and the 4 Cycle guys would likely still be able to get plenty of laps out of them……