Cup Karts North America Champions Cup Round 2 Postponed
The following is a statement from Cup Karts North America regarding the second event of the 2020 schedule, set for May 15-17 at East Lansing Kart Track in Michigan.
These are trying times for all of us. Whether or not you or somebody close to you has contracted the COVID-19 virus, we all have been undoubtedly affected in some way by this pandemic. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone during these unsettling times.
We all are looking forward to returning to normal as soon as possible. For many of us, a big part of that is getting the CKNA family back to racing again. We hoped that our upcoming race at the East Lansing Kart Track would provide that for everybody. However, we regretfully are writing this letter to inform you that the second round of the 2020 CKNA Champions Cup season has been postponed.
As some states and municipalities are now slowly allowing certain activities to resume, we have held out hope that this race would go off as scheduled. Over the past few weeks, our friends at ELKT have been working directly with their local health officials to try and put together a plan in which we could race safely. But as Michigan is still under rather strict lock-down orders, it has become apparent that we will not be able to pull this off.
So what does this mean for the remainder of the 2020 CKNA racing season? Honestly, it is too soon to tell. We are confident that we will race this year, and hopefully soon! Like most series, we are looking at options to reschedule the postponed events we have missed so far. However, we will not be announcing specific plans for any of these events until we are reasonably confident that our first race of the season will be able to take place. The last thing we want to do is put an alternate schedule out, only to have to change it again.
There are obvious hurdles to overcome. Obviously, we need to make sure that the local government of the host tracks will allow a race to take place. We also need to make sure that competitors are legally allowed to travel to the event, have places to stay and food to eat throughout the weekend. Finally, we want to ensure that we can take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of everybody at the event.
Thank you to all of our racers and sponsors for the continued patience and support. We firmly believe that we are through the worst of this and will soon be able to resume a much more normal day to day life.