Indoor News: Grand Prix New York – Winter League Round 3 Report

Grand Prix New YorkTuesday February 5, Mt Kisco’s Grand Prix NY held the third round of its winter adult racing league. This evening’s action was on the tight uptown configuration, running in the reverse direction. First up this evening was the lightest class – GTU (175lbs). In the five minute qualifying session, Gary Megennis grabbed the pole over Steven Eickelbeck. Andrew Wood and Jonathan Lally were in the row behind them. At the start, Megennis and Eickelbeck moved out to a comfortable lead while Wood found himself on the wrong end of a bumper and dropped to last at the end of lap one. Making the most of the melee was Mark Eickelbeck, who was up to third from his sixth starting position at the end of lap one. That is how the top three would finish while behind them Lally and Dave Lapham had a spirited battle, with Lapham coming out on top for fourth place. Round two reversed the grid and that put rookies Tremeur Arbor and Will Eickelbeck on the front row followed by Nick Frangoulis and Mark Eickelbeck. Frangoulis got a great jump at the start and was on point at the end of the first lap. By lap twenty, Mark Eickebeck had worked his way into first, but behind him, Jonathan Lally was making up for a lackluster first heat. He was into third past Will Eickebeck on lap thirteen, into second past Frangoulis on lap twenty one and into the lead three laps later. Lally would hold on for the win over Mark Eickelbeck and Lapham.

The next group up this evening was GTBB (245lb). Cory Rossi continued his domination in this class by grabbing his third pole of the season over Adrian Salageanu. Rossi and Salageanu would wind up finishing as they qualified with Dave Harmon in third just ahead of Louis Berrick and Gary Proft. In heat two, rookie Doug Winston was on pole with Peter Perdikogiannis next to him. Bill Strachan and Patrick Jamin rounded out the second row. At the drop of the green, Strachan slid past the front row to grab the point while Jamin held off Harmon who had also gotten a good start. Rossi, however, would not be denied and fought his way into first from his tenth starting position by lap twenty four, while Jamin and Strachan battled for second. At the end, Jamin was able to hold off Strachan who wound up in the final podium position.

The final group this evening was GTO (205lb). Andrew Wood grabbed his second pole position of the season followed by Gary Megennis, Tom Caspar and Ennis Bragg. The first heat saw little passing up front as it was a nose to tail affair with the top four finishing as they had qualified. The second heat, however, was a different affair. With two red flags stopping the action, this heat was the complete opposite of heat one. AT the top of the corkscrew on lap two Harmon went for a gap that wasn’t really there and was briefly put under the wall. The entire field streamed by on either side and that opened up a lot of opportunities. Spun on the opening lap, Bragg was battling back from last and he and Harmon were able to chase down the field as they were constantly battling. On point, Brian Maleska was doing his best to hold off Wood and it wasn’t until lap fifteen that he was able to make the pass. As the field tightened back up, there was even more pushing going on – Chris Johnson got tagged on lap twenty seven dropping him to sixth and Dimi Vagios, who had battled his way into second place got together with Megennis which allowed a number of drivers to get by only three corners from the finish of the race. Ultimately it was Wood finishing first, with Caspar second and Johnson third.

EKN Global Members Discussion: