Home Forums General Karting Discussion YLC vs YKC tires

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Kozakowski 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

So I started racing in the F100 series recently and we get to race most of the tracks in SoCalif.

The rules let us use YLC or YKC tires (like most series). My YLC tires are about done. I have several sets if YKC, but logically speaking, if I were to run them, wouldn’t that put me at a significant disadvantage vs YLC tires?

Unless I am missing something, I don’t know why anyone would run a harder compound tire unless it is some kind of endurance race in 120 degree weather.

Thoughts?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

They are allowing teams on a budget to use their old tires.

Gif

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Well I am on a budget. Problem is, that lets you participate but not compete. I wouldn’t even want to race if I knew I was at a significant competitive disadvantage before the race even starts.

Andy Seesemann
    Participant

Rod,

Everyone is on a budget.  Some just have more zeroes.

YLC tires are .3-.5 faster depending on the track.  As you know, F100 focusses on the budget minded racer, or the newbie.  If you are a newbie who is 1.5 sec off the pace, running the YKC is a cheaper way to get seat time while trying to become more competitive.  Many use that tire until they feel they are at a competitive level which warrants purchasing the faster tire.

YKC tires have not been manufactured in almost 4 years, but there are still cases of them in the Bridgestone warehouse in SoCal.  We (dealers) have access to them are are able to sell them at $150/set instead of the $200+/set for the YLC.

For some, the cost savings is worth running the slower tire.  For others, its not worth it.

Pick the side of the fence you want to be on and go have fun!

Andy

Full Throttle Karting

Orange, CA

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

A lot of us are at a significant competitive disadvantage before the race even starts because of our level of talent (or lack thereof).  Like Andy says, it gives you choices – make yours and have fun!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.