Can a YBX can be modified to flow as much as an SSX can?
My brother and I have KT100 powered karts that we use for 1) training for my nephew who just got into karting and 2) cheap driving practice for other road racing and driving instructing activities that we partake in.
I picked up another kart for my wife to join in the fun but it’s setup for jr. sportman with the small carb and 3 hold can. Despite her weight advantage she just doesn’t quite have enough power right now to keep up. I’ve got a spare big walbro carb laying around I want to throw on there.
My curiosity is can I drill more holes in the cap of that 3 hole can, or drill out some of the internal holes to get it to perform on the level of the SSX can’s on the other karts?
Trying to bring her performance up to par with ours with as little spend as possible.
In theory, I suppose you could modify the YBX. But look at some other things first. Take one of your SSX engines and try it on her kart. It could be the kart or its setup or that engine needs a rebuild. You could also try just putting one of your SSX cans on her motor. And before you start drilling on the YBX, see if anyone local has a used SSX they’re willing to sell you. I’ve got at least one extra I could part with and I’m guessing there are some near you as well.
Let’s toss another variable into the equation. How’s the clutch on your wife’s kart? If the engagement point is too low, the engine is going to be slow to build rev’s and if it’s set too high you’re wasting power.
Tony, as always I appreciate your input and help here. As a follow up I took the SSX and YBX cans and blew them apart and put them on a bench to evaluate the differences.
To answer my own question the YBX will never flow as much as the SSX even if modified because the diameter of the header pipe coming off of the cylinder is smaller and a choking point that can’t be overcome on the YBX.
That said…I still drilled out the holes on the YBX in a similar pattern to the SSX on the inside, put a few more holes in the cap and put it all back together and it’s going to work just fine with the WB3A big carb I put on her motor to give her the power needed to keep up with me and have a little fun.
Had I not been bored with nothing better to do a $40 used SSX can would have still been the better option in my opinion but my fix will work out for her since it’s just for fun.