Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing Yamaha KT100 fuel

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  patrick hubbell 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Bob Spedding
    Participant

We have only been able to practice and not race this season.  WE have run out of fuel.  For a race I know the track supplies the fuel but since we haven’t made a race and have only been able to practice I can’t get any.  Is there an alternative?  Can I go to my local Shell and buy 93 octane to practice with and then if and when we make a race, I can buy fuel at the track?  Don’t want to mess anything up but not sure what to do.

Thanks

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You can run high test from the gas station no problem. You can also use it at a race if you think you will be a back marker and want to save a few bucks.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

patrick hubbell
    Participant

A KT100 needs a bit more octane or you run the risk of detonation. Not too much more, say something like 100or 103 is ideal.  But don’t use pump gas on a race day, pump gas has too many other chemicals in it’s formulation that will get you disqualified.

Some tracks and local kart shops sell race gas, check with your club first, they can tell you exactly what they use and where you might be able to pick a gallon or two.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication