Home Forums General Karting Discussion Why do racers tap their helmet?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Debbie Kuntze 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

William Weiler
    Participant

When I watch Kart racing videos on youtube, I see a lot of bumping into the guy in front of him before the start. I assume this is to annoy the person into making an error. Why does the guy in front of the bumping guy tap the side of his helmet? Does it mean stop bumping me?

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

Dan Breuer
    Participant

They are basically ‘asking’ kart behind them to push.

Funny thing, watching a recent race, one of the competitors (probably one of the best kart racers in the country) was sent out with to much air pressure (father told me he forgot to drop it). After two laps, she was falling like a rock. She began to ‘tap’ her helmet as people caught her….They actually pushed her back up to the karts she was losing ground to. I had to laugh, but the best learn to make the most of a bad situation.

CarsonSmith4
    Participant

Here in Ohio it is more of a sign to draft or work together in anyway possible. I tend to think that it is very overused in sprint racing and street racing. With a recent trip to Indy for the USAC “battle at the Brickyard”, I noticed a lot of people were using it and i found it to be the only place I have ever seen it used very efficiently.

Debbie Kuntze
    Participant

It could also mean, stop pushing or use your head.

I see someone doing that in RR I know they usually want a push so I know to black flag both :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.