Home Forums Shifter Karts Who Paddle Shifts?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Degulis 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Kevin Reguera
    Participant

Hi all…new guy here looking for some information on karting.  I basically don’t know jack about this industry and am trying to learn what I can to get started.

I’d like to get into a 125 shifter and was wondering what people thought of paddle shifters.  I was at the track the other day and I saw some but I can’t find a kart with them for sale.

Is there an option to buy an after-market set up for paddle shifting or does the chassis need to be set up for them?

Thanks for any help.

David McDowell
    Participant

No, No, and No.

Stick with the standard shifter set up.  I ran the paddles for half a season, then made the switch. Boy do I wish I would of changed before the season even started.

The problem is the amount of time and strength it takes to shift a gear is far greater than the standard shifter. I would say you can downshift threw 3 gears with the standard shifter in the same amount of time as one with paddles IMO.

Kevin Reguera
    Participant

Ok, good to know.

Thanks David!

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

The Rotax DD2 (2-speed) is where you’ll see most of the paddle shifters these days on karts.

Kevin Reguera
    Participant

Ok, cool…thanks Rob!

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

My Trackmagic kart came with paddle (butterfly) shifter. It sucked ass! The problem was that the upshifts pulled the cable to shift and worked pretty good. The down shifts pushed through the cable and was pretty worthless. Sometimes it would downshift and sometimes it wouldnt. I think a double cable setup would have worked pretty good, but I lost interest in that idea and put in a standard bump shift system purchased used off of ebay for a song.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

The problem is the cable… I use a cable operated shifter on my superkarts, they shift like buttah!!!

I have the cables made special….

CR

Brian Degulis
    Participant

I build boats for a living. We use a lot of control cables most of the paddle shifters I’ve seen use a Morse marine style cable. There are different grades Standard and Teflon. The Teflon is better but the most important thing is the geometry of the linkage. The system needs to be set up to use the full travel of the cable which is normally around 3″. If you don’t do that then your putting a higher load on the cable and your exaggerating the effect of the play in the cable. The right cable in good condition with the right geometry will shift fine.

Brian

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.