Home Forums General Karting Discussion Who makes the best tire pressure gauge?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lynn haddock 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Tim Reed
    Participant

Who makes the best, most accurate, reliable gauge??  You are 100 percent, when it says “10 lbs”, it is truly 10 lbs…

tony zambos
    Participant

Tim,
    Look over the Longacre gauges. They have both analog and digital versions. We went with the analog one with a large face. Don’t know how you’re going to verify that the gauge you purchase is going to read perfectly accurate. Let’s say that it reads 10.25 lbs with a known 10 psi supply. As long as it reads .25 high every time you use it and at every pressure, you’re golden. When you want to make a 2 lb change and the gauge accurately measures those 2 lbs, don’t think you can ask much more of the gauge. Get a gauge that only reads to 30 psi if you’re only going to use it for karting. Take care of the gauge by bouncing it around in a tool box or dropping it on the ground.

lynn haddock
    Participant

Computech hands down

Tim Reed
    Participant

I’m looking for digital for sure…. something that can re-calibrate itself… I’ve had a number of Longacre gauges, and they work well, but seem to loose accuracy over time.  I agree with Tony, to an extent, if you are 2 lbs off, as long as you always use the same baseline, it should be ok, but if you think you are running 8 lbs of pressure, and in reality you are running 10 lbs, that can have some undesirable results and you not know why…

Lynn – do you know who sells the computech?

Tim Koyen
    Participant

I use the Prisma or HiPreMa digital gauge that KartSport imports.  I see tons of them at the track.  The Intercomp digital is very good, but its also very expensive.  I’ve also had Longacre gauges that weren’t very accurate over the long haul.  When you’re running tire pressures around 8 lbs, resolution to .1 is important.

Finch Guenther
    Participant

I agree with Tim. I just got mine not to long ago and love it. It’s very accurate and easy to read.

Gary Lawson
    Participant

I despise the end on the Prisma guage. I would not trade my intercomp digital for anything. Get the 45* chuck. I got mine in 07. Still going strong and battery has only been replaced once!have checked it against at least 4 other identical guages and they were either exact or .1 different. Its the one tool I cannot live without or substitute at the track.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

I definitely agree with Gary on the chuck end for the Prisma gauge.  Its sucks.  The 45 deg end on the Intercomp is much nicer.  When I was looking at making my own tire gauge last year, I was all over the 45 deg chuck, but with a design more similar to the Prisma.

Oliver Kell
    Participant

Any feedback on alfano or others that interface with the data acq?

lynn haddock
    Participant

My Bad ~!

I meant to say Intercomp — I use Computech for my weather monitor system.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.