Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Which clutch springs for LO206?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Leo Ahearn 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Cole Liggett
    Participant

I’m running the premier Titan clutch on my LO206.  Track is tight with a few slow speed corners.  The problem I’m having is that the stock clutch springs engage at nearly 4300 rpms and with the rev limiter at 6000 rpms that doesn’t give me much to work with.  Anyone else running this clutch?  I’m going to try the blue clutch springs  which engage much sooner, are there any down falls to running the softer springs in sprint racing?

thanks

George Vorrilas
    Participant

Try the green springs. I think you will find that the blue ones are going to be to light. We have both on hand if you need them. Also have a slick tool for replacing springs. Using our tool springs can be replaced in 5-10 minutes.  Either shot me a PM or best by email at:

apexkart@comcast.net

ApexKartSports

Briggs Motorsports Dealer / Service Center

Cole Liggett
    Participant

Thanks for the reply

Rick Leonard
    Participant

Cole,

You track sound similar to a place I run. What gearing are you running? I am struggling to find the right gearing.

Cole Liggett
    Participant

17/65   (3.82 ratio)  @ imi motorsports

im running #219 gearing, I hit the rev limiter 3/4 of the way down the straight, but it gives me a good balance of acceleration and top speed and yields the best lap times.

Cole Liggett
    Participant

Also, just to follow up on my clutch problems.  Changing springs didnt help.  Talked to the guys at the track and they seem to think the Titan may not workfor the lower powered lo206 engine.  I think I will give the premier stinger a go and see how that works out.

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

Cole,

I’ve had good success with the Hilliard Inferno (not sure if Blaze or Flame model) and the MaxTorque during my two outings in the LO206 class.

Gary Lawson
    Participant

Good call going to the smaller clutch.  The stinger or Hilliard flame are good choices. Engagement should be around 3800

Leo Ahearn
    Participant

Are you talking IMI the sprint course or IMI the oval?

The sprint course is anything but tight.

Cole Liggett
    Participant

Hey Leo,

I’m setting up my kart to race at centennial.   And I agree that imi is anything but tight, I live up in Loveland and I’ve been doing a couple test and tune days up at imi since it’s 30 min from my house rather than the two hours it takes me to get to centennial.  I plan on making it down there this weekend so I can get my gearing and chassis setup sorted out.

Leo Ahearn
    Participant

Cole – sorry for the late response – I was away from my personal computer for a few days and did not have my login info for this site with me.

I have made several posts over on the colorado karter portal re: running an LO206 at Centennial.

I will be there this Saturday when the gates open.  Not sure who else will be.

Gearing – Jim and I are both running 219 chains and gears, so if you are running a 35 you’ll need to translate.  For up hill, a ratio of about 3.72 seems to be perfect.  For down hill I was hitting the rev limiter prior to mid-straight, but this could change when I add weight.  I plan to test a 3.63 gear for downhill at full weight and see what it does to lap times.

Clutch – I would have the springs and knowhow to get your at rest RPMs to be 3600-3800 (will be 3400 full engagement when on the track rolling) but it would be interesting to test your slippier setup as well.

I have an extra 35 chain if you need it and some extra 35 gears.  Also, Action Karting has 35 and 219 sprockets on hand that you can pick up on your way down if need be, or I can swing over and grab a sprocket or two for you.  You might end up with slightly used but fully functional gears from them depending on the tooth count, but I would not hesitate to put a good used sprocket on.

my email is ljahearn       at        me      dot com – shoot me a message here or at that email if you want to trade phone numbers.  Hope to see you Saturday!!! Leo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.