Home Forums 250 Superkarts What size wheel?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Gerry MCN 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jim White
    Participant

I’ve got an Anderson chassis. All the front wheels I got with it were 5″ width, I’ve been running the Dunlop 5.50 tires. Is this the right wheel for this tire? At this point I’m all out of Dunlops and it’s time to make some tire choice decisions for the future.

I see Hoosier recommends 6″ wide for there tires. Anybody ever ran the Hoosiers on the 5″ wheel? I really don’t want to invest in more wheels if I don’t have to.

Gerry MCN
    Participant

The Hoosier needs a 6″w,  best to go with Bridgestone Superkart tires  they like the 5 and 8 combo

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Jim, you can’t run the Hoosiers on 5″ wide wheels…  If you mount them on your 5’s, you will see how much tire hangs off the side, not good.

6″ wides are a pain to locate….

CR

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Jim

We tried the Hoosiers on both 5 and 6″ wide fronts on our Andersion Maverick chassis. (We are the Hoosiers distributors in the UK from 1st Jan 2014)

We were also very interested to read their recommendation regarding running the fronts on 6″ wide rims, so we tested them with one of our drivers on an Anderson Maverick chassis.

Personal choice of course, but he much preferred the feel and feedback when mounted on the 5″ wide rims and his lap times reflected that.

The “overhang” that Chris mentions is actually less than with the 5.5″ Dunlops (as you would expect being 0.5″ narrower).

Anyway, please see the attached picture with the Hoosiers mounted on 6″ wide rim (left) and 5″ wide rim (right). I hope the info helps. I would certainly give it a go, before lashing out on wheels. Dean Martin also runs the Hoosiers on a Maverick, so it might be worth asking his opinion.

Oh, incidentally we ran the rears on 8″ wides with bead screws on the back and front of the rim. We ran bead screws front and back of the rims on the 6″ wide fronts, but without bead screws on the 5″ wide fronts, just as we do with the Dunlops. The Hoosiers are a much stiffer carcase than the Dunlops, so require a bit more physical effort to fit!

We were extremely pleased with the results and they were comparable grip to the Dunlop DES, but with improved durability. We are running/selling the R60A which Hoosier have CIK homologated for use in UK/Europe.

Best Regards

Ian :-)

Hoosiers 5 6

Jim White
    Participant

Thank you for the info Ian. Great as always!

Gerry MCN
    Participant

So why does Hossier themself say the 60A front is not recommended on the 5 inch wide wheel, even talking to them on the phone got the same result

on a side note, Ian do you know the diameter difference between the 60A on a 5 and 6 ?

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Gerry

I don’t really know why Hoosier recommend (and it’s only a recommendation) a 6″ wide front, just historical I believe.  Certainly nothing structural or safety related. We are working with Hoosier and supplying them with our testing info. They certainly encouraged us to try both rims and were very interested in us reporting the results to them.

I have the height/circumference detail at work, but the difference is small. I’ll post it up as soon as I can.

The general info is here but only relates to 6″ wide front and 8-9″ Rear: http://www.hoosiertire.com/specsk.htm

Best Regards

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Gerry

Here’s the info on tyre circumferance and height.

Fronts

33 ½” (on 125mm/5″ wide rims) = 850.9mm, Ride Height = 135.4mm

33″ (on 150mm/6″ wide rims) = 838.2mm, Ride Height = 133.4mm

Tolerance: +/- 3.2mm on front tyres circumference

Rears

34 ¾” (on 200mm/8″ wide rims) = 882.65mm, Ride Height = 140.5mm

34 1/4″ (on 230mm/9″ wide rims) = 869.95mm, Ride Height = 138.5mm

Tolerance: +/- 6.4mm on rear tyre circumference

Ride heights are calcualted from circumferance measurement and are from centre of axle to O/D of unloaded tyre. Of course the actual ride height will vary from this figure dependant on tyre pressure and load, but it will give you an idea.

The difference in ride height from 5″ to 6″ wide front rims and 8″ to 9″ rear rims is 2mm (4mm on diameter).

I was thinking more about why Hoosier recommended the 6″ front and it was probably due to them carrying out an awful lot of the initial testing with Erik Frank, who ran a PVP chassis, which like Aussie Brian Stockman’s Stockman MR2 chassis and the UK made Formula 1 chassis seem to work better with a 6″ wide front rim.

Best Regards

Gerry MCN
    Participant

Great info, thanks very much!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.