Home Forums Tech Talk What is the best Chain Lube for a Yamaha KT 100?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Morgan Schuler 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Bob Spedding
    Participant

I have read so many different things to use for chain lube that it is all confusing.  Is it pretty much just personal opinion or is there REALLY ONE product that is the best?  We are running a Yamaha KT100 4-hole can.

Thank you!

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

I use maxima chain wax, and it works ok, but it’s a pain in the but to clean up afterwards.

Motul and triflo make an awesome product that works very well

http://www.accelerationkarting.com/search.aspx?find=chain+lube

This little guy works wonders, and it’s guey http://www.tsracing.com/store/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=487&CATID=7

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Xeramic.  Available from UK.

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

TJ Koyen

+1 to Xeramic. Switched to it years ago and have never had issues with it. Super good stuff.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You can use anything that’s made for racing or motorcycle chain.

I clean my rear gear and chain between track sessions then spray on some thin liquidy chain oil then use some thick Burris chain oil on the inside rollers of the chain then spin for the spider web effect.

I’ve also used sticky Maxima chain wax by itself between sessions. The trick to cleaning it off is to spray a little bit of carb or brake cleaner and it wipes right off. Don’t hose your chain with cleaner or you’ll wash the lube right out of the rollers.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Mark Dismore Jr.
    Participant

Xeramic is the best all-around chain spray I have found. You can buy it in the US, no need to try and import any from the UK.

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

True… I think “the majors” in online kart parts carry it.

Xeramic makes a 2-cycle cylinder treatment with funny disclaimers too….basically to the effect of “don’t breathe it or you’ll die.  Don’t let your neighbor breathe it or they’ll die.  Don’t let your dog breathe it or it’ll die.  In fact, just don’t breathe while using it.”  It might be even as bad as 4-cycle dirt tire preps!  LOL  I wonder if the EPA has banned import of it since we found it circa 2001…

I’m down to my last can of Xeramic chain lube, so time to look up Comet, Russell, et. al. and find a US source…  in ’01 there weren’t as many Stateside, IIRC.

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Fantastico!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XERAMIC-TRATTAMENTO-CERAMICO-MOTORI-2T-tempi-Kart-moto-ENGINE-TREATMENT-2-STROKE-/331214561512

IIRC, it created a heavy dense fog that wafted through the backyard and covered the next 2-3 neighbors yards too, slowly dissipating over the 15 minute runtime it required, or something like that…

Walt Gifford
    Participant

lol, I actually have some of that I’ve never used.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Greg Wright
    Participant

I believe that most kart shops carry xeramic chain lube, mine does.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Holeshot Drive systems (AJ Whistler) recommends very highly Alisyn synthetic chain lube.   It is great.  it is a high quality synthetic grease dissovled into an volatile.  So it sprays on and wicks in then the volatile evaporates and leaves the grease in place.   best thing is the exact same lube is also sold at home depot under a product name “Clopay Synthetic Garage Door Chain Lube” for about $6 a can  Also at Lowes as “Genie Synthetic Garage Door Chain Lube” at about the same price.   It really is the same stuff, it is a great product, easily available at a reasonable price.

Rick McClure
    Participant

We’ll after reading this topic I picked up a can of xeramic from comet and used it the past weekend at the track. It was great like it a lot better than chain wax. Thanks a lot for people response.

Bob Spedding
    Participant

Hey guys, I wanted to revisit this subject as I can’t find any Xeramic in the US. To expensive to ship from outside the US. Going through CometkartSales it looks like their top two are either:  Motul Chain Lube Spray or Blendzall 500 chain lube spray.  The Tri-Flo says its not recommended for chains.  https://cometkartsales.com/Chain-Lube/

Is one of these better than the other??  Or if someone can point me to the Xeramic in the US that would be great.

Thanks guys!

Morgan Schuler
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.