Home Forums General Karting Discussion What camera?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Britt Robinson 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Jeffrey May
    Participant

Getting ready to purchase a new camera for next year.

From what information I’ve seen the GoPro units seem to be the item to get.

What GoPro units seem to be the most popular or the best for karting?

What type of set ups are you all using? Frame mounted, helmet cams???

Also,

Is there anyplace in particular or the best place to get one?

Many Thanks,

Jeff May

Hagerstown, MD

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

Used a GoPro for a while, then switched to Contour.  Better picture quality,  I HAVE had a couple of issues with the cameras, but Contour has been good with replacing cameras when they go bad.  I use 2 Contour +’s mounted to my kart, as helmet mounted cameras are illegal here in IKF land.

Joe Street
    Participant

I have a GoPro, 2 Contour Roams and a Replay. I have run all of them at one time or another on my superkart. The one I most prefer is the Contour. The mounting system is a bit limited, but still works fine for me. I have placed them all over my kart and inside the body work as well, and the Contour has been great. I think the sound is a bit better with the GoPro, however, due to the other issues I have with the GoPro, I don’t use it any more. The Replay is a good camera as well, but picture quality for me is a bit less than the Contours. The 3 cameras are similar in most respects, however the shape and ease of use of the Contour makes it my first choice. At the start of a race, trying to fiddle with the turn on and start button with gloves on is a problem with the GoPro and Replay for me, but the Contour is a single slide switch which is quick and easy. The Contours seem to run a little less money as well. Everyone has their own ideas on the best camera, for me it’s currently the Contour. By the way, I have not had any issues with the Contours, they have worked fine for me.

James McCabe
    Participant

Sony introduced action cameras a little over a year ago. I’ve used the AS-15 and loved it, but the AS-30 looks even better. In my opinion (I have a video production company, for what it’s worth) the Sonys are superior to the GoPro and similarly priced. They’re also more aero than that GoPro box! There are a few mounts available, including a helmet mount, but I know SKUSA isn’t keen on that. Here’s a link to B&H in NYC, but check YouTube for comparisons. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002001-REG/sony_hdr_as30v_hd_pov_action.html

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

Joe, you think the sound is better on the GoPro than the Contours?  I’d say the exact opposite.  I always thought the sound on the GoPro’s was crap.  That was one of my biggest complains about the GoPro’s.

Mike Lyda
    Participant

Mobius..  1080p, under $80, lots of possibility for hacking (lens extension cables, different lenses, lots of settings) so you can stick it anywhere with no worries about breaking it.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/Mobius/

the 808 #16 only does 720p but is about 1/2 the price and has more of a hacker community around it:   http://www.chucklohr.com/808/c16/

Jeffrey May
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I was ready to purchase the Contour until I read where they closed up shop.

So now it looks like I’m still searching.

As of now, the GoPro Hero 3 Plus  either the silver or black model seems to be the ones.

They are the latest and greatest, perhaps overkill for karting footage??

Anyone else have suggestions?

I’m going to Best Buy to look at the GoPros, maybe see what else they have to offer.

Thanks,

Jeff May

Hagerstown ,MD

TJ Koyen

I have the GoPro 3 Black and it’s super nice. For karting you don’t need anything fancy really, my old GoPro Hero still does a decent job. I’d recommend the Black over the Silver if you go for the 3 though. If you’re going to go big, go all the way.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Jim Russell, Jr
    Participant

Support the karting shops that sell items like the cameras vs.  big box stores. Lots of stores like ours sell the GoPro cameras. Or the other brands. Plus karting companies will usually  get you a better price than a Best Buy that will be full retail.

Howie Idelson
    Participant

The GoPro 3+ Kicks everything elses ass.

Jeffrey May
    Participant

Didn’t realize kart shops sold them. I will check it out.

Thanks,

The only reason I mentioned Best Buy was because they have them in stock at my local store.

I always like to look at what I’m purchasing whenever possible. There was no way it was coming from them or other stores of similar nature.

Looks like it will be a GoPro then.

So,

Next questions, LOL…

Tell me about the types of mounts you all use?

I’ve seen them on tops of helmets, on the sides of helmets, attached to the kart in the front, on the rear looking past the drivers shoulder, and who knows where else.

Also, what size SD card should I consider since according to GoPro they don’t come with any card.

I was thinking a 32.

Thanks everyone, you all have been a tremendous help.

Jeff

TJ Koyen

Radiator mount is my favorite.

I have a 16GB SD.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Britt Robinson
    Participant

Whatever you do, don’t mount the GoPro on the top of your helmet. You’ll look like just another Teletubbie character…

'13 Velox SK1 - CR125 -
    4th place finisher on a good day @ Tri-City Kart Club, Richland, WA

Jon Romenesko
    Participant

Looks like it will be a GoPro then. So, Next questions, LOL… Tell me about the types of mounts you all use? I’ve seen them on tops of helmets, on the sides of helmets, attached to the kart in the front, on the rear looking past the drivers shoulder, and who knows where else. Also, what size SD card should I consider since according to GoPro they don’t come with any card. I was thinking a 32.

I feel like now may be a good time for me to self-promote, haha…

How to: mount your GoPro on your GoKart

GoPros really are pretty great, and are almost the defacto industry standard these days.  Contour has gone out of business recently, so keep that in mind.

As far as SD cards go, I use a 32gb.  I don’t know if the new Hero3+ has this issue, but there was an issue with the Hero3s corrupting large (64gb) cards and people were losing all their footage.  Besides, 32gb is plenty for a weekend at the track, i’ve found.  Make sure to get a high quality one (class 10), otherwise you might run into vibration problems or poor captures.

Pick up some extra batteries too (the battery life isn’t the best on the Hero3), i’d highly recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-AHDBT-201-AHDBT-301-AHDBT-302/dp/B00AAIPT76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383716506&sr=8-1&keywords=wasabi+battery

GP10/CR125
    S2 Semi-Pro Stock Moto - SKUSA Rocky Mountain ProKart Challenge

http://theslipangle.com/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.