Home Forums General Karting Discussion What are they doing?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Clark 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Greg Wright
    Participant

I’ll try to make this short. I’ve been seeing something strange the last few seasons. I first noticed this during the four years that I was the announcer at Ben Hur Speedway and now I’m starting to see it other places.

It seems that it’s a four cycle thing (No offense intended) but I’ve been seeing drivers on the cool down lap after getting the checkers reach out and drag their fingertips along the track. For what reason I don’t know but yesterday a driver at NCMP did the finger drag and got his arm ran over and required medical treatment.

What are they doing and why?

I know, I know I’m the only one in the world that has seen this.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

David Cole
    Keymaster

No idea.

New Castle has seen multiple drivers get their arm caught between the left rear tire and the side pods – Nick Neri and Dusty Davis. We saw another at Phoenix.

It’s not good to put your left arm out away from the wheel if you don’t have a radiator sitting next to you.

Momma always said to keep both hands on the wheel.

David Cole - eKartingNews.com Managing Editor -
    @DavidColeEKN

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I guess it’s like putting your hand out the window of a car to feel the breeze, maybe they want more sensory input from the track surface.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Mike Clark
    Participant

No Clue as to what it could possibly be for. Sounds goofy and obviously didn’t work out for a few people. I wouldn’t do it as I love my gloves, hand, elbow and shoulders. I have never even fist bumped another driver. I took me a good while to trust adjusting the jets on a KT100 while moving. I won’t try to adjust brake balance while moving.

When I raced bicycles I was comfy wiping my tires as a rode but there was a method to doing it. I could even brake with my foot on a tire if needed but both served a purpose and employed a method to not suck your hand between a tire and the frame or forks.

Greg, I have seen some things guys do that are stupid. Speeding on pit row and some other things like going the wrong direction in the pits. Last test day a kart passed within 24″ behind a friend in the paddock. If my friend would have stepped back he could have been badly injured as the kart was traveling too fast.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Mike Clark.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication