Home Forums Audio/Video Section Want video with data / What to get?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bill Boxell 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bill Wright
    Participant

I’m looking for a system that will allow me to create video that displays data.

Something like this would be nice? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhgOFi6yq9Y

I like that it shows g, rpm, lap, lap time, speed and the track map. What sytem is that?

Any other suggestions? Contacts?

THANKS!

David McDowell
    Participant

Bill,

AIM makes the SmartyCam to link with the Michron to allow just this thing. See link below. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/products-car/smartycam-hd/

tony zambos
    Participant

Bill,

Can’t argue with the AIM SmartyCam. A great choice.  But with some extra work, you could use a MyChron and a GoPro Camera.  For software you’ll need RaceStudio and at least Race Render.  If your pc is running less the Window7, Race Render will only be able to create a Windows version of the output. If you need to create versions of your video for a Mac, MPEG format, I used Media Conveter 8. The nice feature of Media Converter 8 is that it can create videos that can be played on any device, ie smart phones, iphones, tabelets, what ever.

Race Render has a free trail version that’s good for making a short video.  If you already have a MyChron and a GoPro, you could download the free version and play with it. What you are going to find is that it takes a bit of  patience in syncing the video and the data. That something you wouldn’t have to worry about with the SmartyCam.  Race Render allows you to use either one of their gauge templates or you can create your own.  You’ll need a GPS receiver if you want the track map if your using Race Render with a GoPro.

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Bill,

I researched the same thing over the past six months.  What I came up with was a ContourGPS camera, my existing Mychron dash, and Dashware software.  The ContourGPS camera has built-in GPS that gives you accurate positioning, G-forces and speed.  Dashware allows you to load the video file from the ContourGPS and it automatically extracts the GPS data.  Dashware also allows you to create custom gauges easily to display the info.  Lastly it pulls in the Mychron data for revs and laptimes.

I picked up a second hand, like-new, ContourGPS on eBay for $100.00.  The Dashware software is only $50.00.  So it was really an affordable package.

Here’s a link to a video I created:  http://www.raceralex.com/video/MMX-2013-12-17-01_720P-LQ.wmv  It’s the lowest HD quality you can render using Dashware and is the actual video (not some YouTube compressed file).

Using Dashware I created a decent track map for GoPro motorplex and a MyChron3 gauge for the display.  For the price I think its pretty effective with anything I’ve seen.

Bill Boxell
    Participant

Bill, Can’t argue with the AIM SmartyCam. A great choice. But with some extra work, you could use a MyChron and a GoPro Camera. For software you’ll need RaceStudio and at least Race Render. If your pc is running less the Window7, Race Render will only be able to create a Windows version of the output. If you need to create versions of your video for a Mac, MPEG format, I used Media Conveter 8. The nice feature of Media Converter 8 is that it can create videos that can be played on any device, ie smart phones, iphones, tabelets, what ever. Race Render has a free trail version that’s good for making a short video. If you already have a MyChron and a GoPro, you could download the free version and play with it. What you are going to find is that it takes a bit of patience in syncing the video and the data. That something you wouldn’t have to worry about with the SmartyCam. Race Render allows you to use either one of their gauge templates or you can create your own. You’ll need a GPS receiver if you want the track map if your using Race Render with a GoPro.

With the GoPro (or whatever camara)/RaceRender setup it takes a little patience to sync the data with the video, it takes a lot of patience waiting for the video file to be generated (rendered).  If your wanting to see the video later this setup works fine. If you want to be able to watch it as an event is going on, you need to get a SmartyCam.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.