Home Forums 250 Superkarts Viper SK250S

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Jim White 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Guys
    Here’s an image of the Viper Racing UK SK250S installed in an Anderson Maverick 250 National chassis.

Just a few jobs to finish, then we are ready to rock and roll!!
    Viper SK250S

Best Regards

Ian :-)

Bobby Butler
    Participant

Dang it Ian, you have really outdone yourself!  The black power coated head will  tick off the gas gas worshippers.

If it performs as good as it appears (no doubt)  a game changer as arrived!

Congradulations on the accomplishment!

BB

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Thanks BB

Ian

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Ian, it looks very interesting. Can you share any details?

Dan Davis
    Participant

Very nice looking package Ian!

Andy Kiker
    Participant

Good thing Ian has a picture posted so we all know what Dan was referring to. I think.

nigel cooper
    Participant

Does it have 6 gears and a counterbalance shaft?

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Guys

The Viper SK250S is a 250cc single cylinder Superkart engine.
    The cylinder is reversed (exhaust out-of-the-back) with a front mounted carburettor feeding into the crankcase via a reed induction system.
    The crankshaft is fully shrouded with just a slot through to the top end for the connecting rod.
    It has a bore and stroke of 68.0 x 68.8mm and a rod length of 128mm
    The crankcases are machined from billet aluminium. It has a gear driven counterbalance shaft with an internal balance weight on the right and an external balance weight on the left.
    The cylinder has 3 exhaust ports and 5 transfer ports.
    Gearbox, clutch and selector mechanism are taken from the 2002-2007 Honda CR250 and in standard (UK) format it is a 5-speed with alternative gearbox ratios. Our 6-speed gearbox can also be fitted if local regulations allow.
    The ignition is Viper Racing’s own digital programmable ignition that runs off the 2002-2007 Honda generator, however, many ignition options are possible.

Best Regards

Dan Davis
    Participant

Andy!

Very nice description of your…….”engine specs” Ian!

Andy Kiker
    Participant

Sorry Dan, That was to easy a setup. I couldn’t pass it up.

Justin
    Participant

Ian, I am inpressed and so glad I was not the only one who thought this should happen.

I feel that this has so many advantages as oppose to the conventional arrangement,

With the intake being in the front you can get more of a ram air effect, a decent NACA duct on top of the side pods.

A more compact package mean not only better aero, with the muffler tucked behind, but one could in theory put 2 smaller radiators in the side pods (a la F1 or Indy) and eliminate the large rear radiator and thus eliminate  the “parachute” effect.

Having existine Honda components is a big plus for ease of acceptability and familiarity, not to mention would be a big plus for the Honda spec peeps.

I know its not polite to ask, but what are you looking at for cost per unit?

I know feel I am one step closer to moving forward with this adventure!

Justin  

PS Just curious as to the steering wheel set up, could you show /explain more?

J

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Very clean design, Ian.

Congratulations

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Guys

Thanks for the favourable comments.

As you might imagine we are now in the middle of the development programme to optimise carb/ignition/pipe design, etc.

As a special introductory price, the complete engine package of engine/carb/pipe and ignition is £5,995.00 UK pounds fully assembled, dyno-tested and ready to go.

The steering wheel is a Sparco car steering wheel and at present the buttons don’t do anything!! Just the wheel is the drivers personal choice . . . . nothing too exciting.

I believe that the ram-airbox will end up under the right-hand pod, with probably a snorkel duct on top of the pod.

Here’s a price list link for the full motor:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m52csesljxlwqs9/SK250S_Price-List_09.01.14.pdf

and a list for any potential self-builders with their own Honda crankcase induction Parts to use:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8aokmzwhp8q4kl5/SK250S_Self-Assembly_Pricing_09.01.14.pdf

Best Regards

Ian

nigel cooper
    Participant

brilliant product! Using/reusing existing Honda parts from your engine makes the most sense to me and it can save you about 1/3 of the cost.Why re-engineer and manufacture new components that are proven,already and easily accessible.Just change only what needs to be changed from the CR250 engine.

Does it have an external water pump and how much does the engine and exhaust weight?

Could anyone in north america purchasing one, post your opinions on it after trying it out? Vibration levels,smoothness,power and torque ect.

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Guys

First ever track outing for the Viper SK250S at Silverstone test day, with driver Mark Stansfield.
    Stanny Sstone
    Next outing Oulton Park, Cheshire, UK March 27/28th MSA British Superkart Championship

Best Regards

Ian :)

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Very nice Ian, good luck with it…

CR

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

It looks the business Ian!  Have a great run at Oulton Park:)

Justin
    Participant

Ian,

Any more news from the second round of tests at Oulton Park?

One thing I forgot to ask, would this be available as an conversion to an existing CR250 engine or is there too much internal modification required for this engine?

Regards,

Justin

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Justin, download Ian’s PDF files, it’s priced both way it seems, but if I understand the pricing, looks cheaper if Ian builds for you with all new pieces…

Results: http://www.superkart.org.uk/

Looks like a solid 3rd, not bad for a brand new motor…

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Justin

We are actually expecting to get it on the dyno for the first time this week. That sounds absolutely crazy that we’ve been on track twice without it going on the dyno, but we were hit with availability on a specific part and then with some mods that we made. On both occasions finished the kart on the morning of the tests without time to dyno. Hopefully now, we have the time (6 weeks) to optimise and release the figures everyone is waiting for. However, we have learned an awful lot about the engine and the name of the game has been meeting peoples expectations regarding it’s appearing on track.

Chris’ summary is pretty spot on and anyone is welcome to either buy the kit to build their Honda into, or to have us build it for them using their Honda parts or for us to supply a brand new fully ready to go package.

Best Regards

Jim White
    Participant

Hi Ian, check your pm’s please

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.