Home Forums Shifter Karts trouble with front hubs

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  William Martin 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

I bought a 2008 Intrepid shifter and am still sorting it all out. My previous kart was an antique Trackmagic (American made and fittings). I want to narrow the front track just a little. The front hubs slide onto the secondary hub (that contains the bearings. The hub slides inward just fine, until it hits the front wheel. It looks to me like the wheel should slide onto the hub. I think the hubs are 40mm, but the wheels look like the pilot hole is about 38mm? The wheels are Douglas M series. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a built in safety net?

James O’Brien
    Participant

Do you have the plastic outer rings still on?

Visit our Online Parts Store www.eshifterkart.com
    or
    www.facebook.com/eshifterkart

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

I haven’t seen any plastic rings. Where would they be if I had them?

James O’Brien
    Participant

Yeah the end of your inner hub, like a plastic spacer, they are usually red on the Intrepids. But that doesn’t sound like it. What line on your inner hub are you trying to get to?

or

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

There are 9 lines on the hub. I am trying to get to the last one. Need about 3/4″ more movement to get there. The outer hub will go all the way to where I want it to go, but not when the wheel is bolted to it.

James O’Brien
    Participant

Anyone remember guys cutting off the ends of their hubs about that much to narrow the front?

or

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

Well, it turns out that my friend Alan Sheidler looked at the kart today and he said the hubs are 40mm and the wheels are 35mm, or close to it. So basically someone before me bought the wrong wheels. I am the 3rd owner of the kart.

William Martin
    Participant

Sounds like you need to find “normal” 40mm wheels, what you have sounds like some CRG thing. At any rate, the wheel registers on the center hole, not the bolt holes, so it will not be happy even if you had the adjustment range you want. Running out of true is as bad as out of balance…only maybe worse!

Bill M.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication