Home Forums Chassis & Handling TonyKart brakes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Harmon 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

William Weiler
    Participant

My brakes seem to not have feel or easy communication about what they are doing on the track. To make them better I asked some racers if they change the brake fluid. One guy said he never bleeds them. Another 2-cycle guy says he bleeds them after every race. Since the OTK bleeder tool is like $80 on fastech, do you think it is worth getting? Pads see bewildering as well, as far what to get next.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

TJ Koyen

The pedal feel on the OTK brakes is definitely something to get used to, but I’ve found once I got a feel for them, I really liked how I was able to modulate the pedal compared to past karts I drove.

I would definitely recommend having a bleeder on hand. It’s a nice tool to have. I know some drivers that bleed the brakes once a day. I never touch them except to change pads, unless there’s an actual problem with them. Seems to be a mental thing for some drivers.

If you want a different feel in the brakes, they do make a few different levels of hardness for compounds on the pads. OTK sells a few different compounds and there are some aftermarket brands like Frixa who also sell some harder or softer pads.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Tom Jazwiecki
    Participant

Brake bleeder is a great idea. You can make your own with a plastic syringe and a rubber tip, then you can force bleed in one step. Also, make sure both pistons move freely in the caliper housing. If not, take the caliper down, clean it thoroghly, buy a rebuild kit, and bleed it.

Tom Jazwiecki
    Participant

Ferodo makes pads as well, but in my experience, though, nothing works as well as the OTK medium pad. They are pricey, but had a great balance between stopping power and modulation.

William Weiler
    Participant

I checked online for medium pads. Even on the TonyKart site it is weird, with similarly identical entries for pads with identical part numbers. Does anyone have a part number for a medium pad? No where do I even see the words “hard” , “Medium” or “Soft”.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

Scott Harmon
    Participant

My son runs a 2016 Kosmic in LO206.  He likes a firm brake pedal so bleeding the brakes is a must to keep him happy.  The bleeder tool has been very helpful and I keep it with us at all times.  When we ran 2 stroke on this chassis, we found that the caliper piston seals needed to be changed regularly.  It is reasonably easy to do this and I don’t recommend doing it when you get to the track and its time to race :).

We tried the Ferodo pads as well.  My son does not like them as good and they are very aggressive on the brake disk.  We run OTK red pads and can get a rock hard pedal.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.