Home Forums General Karting Discussion Tire's Leaking Air

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Marshall Martin 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Gene Rivera
    Participant

I have a handful of magnesium wheels, that leak air, at the bead (tire-sidewall/wheel connection). They are very slow leaks, but air leaks, none the less. I have verified that they do not leak from the beadlock screws or the Valve stem.  Wheels are in decent shape otherwise, and wish to salvage and continue to use them.

Does anyone have a “trick up their sleeve” that I can use to Stop these leaks 100%, please?

Thank you

Jim Derrig
    Participant

A can of Flat Fix.  Probably don’t need much in each tire.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You know that most racing tires leak air right through the rubber right? If they hold air for an hour that’s my minimum standard for sprint racing. Have you tried wire brushing or using 150 grit sandpaper. If you have some way to spin the wheel it makes it easy. You could also try a very thin layer of epoxy or JB weld.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

The beads can get torn up mounting and dismounting tires. If I have one with a bead that is leaking I will debead the tire and rub a little rtv sealant around the bead. It has always worked for me.

Marshall Martin
    Participant

This will sound very strange but I saw it work.   Down dish soap on the bead, don’t think I am crazy (as I did the guy who told me) until you try it.

Marshall Martin
    -marshall@lsrmotorsports.com
    -www.lsrmotorsports.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.