Home Forums Shifter Karts Tire Trouble

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Abraham Jones 1 year ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Abraham Jones
    Participant

I’m having trouble with the front tires wearing too much on the insides. I have the front bar in flat (horizontal). The front hubs are all the way in. (The width of the front is full narrow) The tires are MG Whites. The camber is about 0.5deg positive when the kart is on the ground. I usually run 13psi cold in the fronts.

I’ve thought that the front end flexes like a taco in a corner causing the inside of the outside front tire to wear more than the outside and the fix is to make the front end stiffer. Turn in feels good but it’s loose on exit. It’s not bad but I’m reluctant to make the front end any stiffer.

I’ve included pictures of the fronts. The chassis is a 2014 Road Rebel by the way.

Right tire

Left tire

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Abraham

If your camber’s at 0.5 pos degrees

Where do you have your toe at?

Patrick Roth
    Participant

Are you running the Braga or the Zuera?  What is your caster setting?  Front and rear ride height?  How many laps are on those tires?

For what it’s worth, I aim for around 13 psi HOT with MG whites and I run a plastic front bar.

When I first started driving a shifter (CRG Road Rebel) a few years back I experienced a similar phenomenon.  I was fortunate enough to have a S1 driver coach me to the point where I brake in a straight line as much as possible (in the shortest distance possible) and focus on as little steering input as possible (and a smooth, yet quick, unwinding).  A lot easier said than done but after a lot of practice my front tires looked more like they are supposed to.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Maybe it’s an optical illusion but aren’t those front tires a little bigger than the normal 450-5?

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Abraham Jones
    Participant

The toe out is set to 2mm.

I don’t know what specific chassis I have. I’ve included a picture of the id plate.

I have the front ride height and caster at the stock settings. I haven’t adjusted either.

The rear ride height is all the way up. Initially it was all the way down but the track here is bumpy. The skid plate for the rear disk would wear out quickly and the comment was that I was throwing sparks as I went around the track. When I dropped the rear axle over steer got better and my ribs wouldn’t get as sore. I think when the kart was bottoming out it would give my ribs a jolt.

The tires are used. I buy them as practice tires from an acquaintance who runs SKUSA events. I flip them before I mount them and the ridge on the inside shows up almost immediately.

I’m not sure why the size of tires doesn’t look right. I put a yard stick on them for reference.

My impression is that trail braking doesn’t work with karts. It seems that braking and turning makes the kart over rotate and that kills entry speed. Just one guy’s opinion though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication