Home Forums General Karting Discussion Tire Changing

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

I just got my TonyKart/LO206. I am going to practice at MBK Saturday and race the next weekend at KPX in Fresno. I see I need Evinco Blues for KPX. I bought a bead breaker from Fastech Racing and I watched youtube videos on tire changing, but I’ve gotten different advice. I have been told I need a tire wrap for seating to keep it from stretching, and that I should get tire irons. I really want to know what is the easiest way.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

tony zambos
    Participant

I’ve always used a cloth tire wrap, made by Exotic Toy Builder. It’s probably not available any more. The new ones all seem to be metal. You’ll see many people not used them. I would use one. You’ll need something to lub the tire and rim to bead up the tire. Dawn dish soap works. If you’ve seen the You Tube videos of guys mounting up tires with their bare hands, forget it, you won’t be able to. Get a tire Pryr kit.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Kevin Ferrara
    Participant

I mounted one set of tires with my bare hands and swore it off forever. What eventually helped, after going through two bottles of windex, was leaving the tires out in the sun for a few hours to soften up.

William Weiler
    Participant

Looks like the Pryr kit is $170. I kind of wanted to slow down the money flying out of my wallet, but I don’t want to be cheap and suffer (been there). Is it really worth it? Are there options?

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

William Weiler
    Participant

I went to buy a tire Pryr look-alike and I had to choose the one for 5″ or 6″ wheels. To find out, I checked my builder’s sheet and I have KG Aluminum 170mm and 140mm wheels. I went to look this up and a website says there is no company called KG. The wheels I see on Kart retail websites don’t come in those widths either. Kind of makes me feel a little concerned I can’t replace a wheel if it gets damaged.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

TJ Koyen

KG is indeed a well-known karting company, this is their website: http://www.kgkarting.it/?lang=en

The 170mm refers to the width and the 5″ or 6″ they are asking for is the diameter, which is the standard diameters for karting wheels. For sprint karting (like you’re doing), 5″ is the regulation size.

For a tire changing device I recommend the KartLift tire changer. Cheap, easy, effective. http://kartlift.com/e-store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=88

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

tony zambos
    Participant

William,
    The wheel sizes you mentioned seem a little off, but then I have no idea as to what size wheels are used on a 206. 5″ wheels are the most common. Only occasionally have I seen 6″ on endure karts. Look at the tire size on the tire. Example: a 7.10 x 5 would indicate a 5″ rim.
    For the time being, if there is a shop or a kind fellow racer at the track, ask if they will mount up your tires. And watch closely. Mounting tires is not that hard if it’s warm out. But it does take some technique.

tony zambos
    Participant

Did a little looking around found the tire sizes for LO206 are 4.60 and 6.00, both are on 5″ rims. So your rim sizes seem OK.

William Weiler
    Participant

TJ – your link is to an accessory. I see the tire changer though and it looks good.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

John Kwong
    Participant

There are certainly some great karting products out there but for the budget conscious karter sometimes you need to be innovative.  The biggest issue I found was mastering the technique of changing tires with your bare hands.  I always needed that 3rd hand or more leverage.  Our temperature during racing season in Canada is rarely hot and a warm tire is always easier to change.  What I use is a length of 3/8″ ready rod, 2 flange nuts and 2 pieces of 1″ square aluminum tubing cut to about 4″ long.  I use this contraption to mount the wheel to the work bench via a hole in the work bench.  This way I can get enough leverage to use the techniques you see on most of the tire changing videos.  I have been using this tool I built for over 20 years now.  It is simple, cheap and easy to haul in my toolbox.

Homemade Kart Tire Changer

Homemade Kart Tire Changer

For myself, I don’t like using water when mounting a tire as it will cause the tire to heat differently when being used because of the water left inside.  I use Gojo smooth hand cleaner (non-grit) as a tire lube as it evaporates inside the tire.

John K

Bruce Peck
    Participant

I’ve used one of these tools for 20+ years.  Mine is mounted to my workbench but I’ve seen people mount to a bar you can put into a trailer hitch on your truck, etc.  Does 5″ or 6″ tires.  Easy to get them on and off once the bead is broken.  Oh, and I use old fashioned KY jelly for mounting.  Slick as snot.

http://www.bmikarts.com/Standard-Tire-Changer-Tool-For-5-or-6-Wheels_p_2561.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29mKyP2E1AIVlFcNCh3t-gLeEAQYASABEgISqfD_BwE

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Some times being cheap can get pretty expensive real quick

My wrists and joints are not a big fan of doing tires by hand, although I have done this many times, still hate it.

This is the best tire you can buy for the budget, and will pay for itself very soon. Just buy one of these and you will never look back, not to mention it will only take you 5 minutes to dismount old ones and re install new ones.

It sounds expensive, but when you use it several times, you’ll be glad you bought it, and it’s totally worth every penny.

http://www.empirekarts.com/tdc-tire-changing-tool

Michael Beckrest
    Participant

William,

The manual tire changer tool by Righetti Ridolfi is my favorite… Huge time saver. Check it out: manual-tire-changer

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I bought one of these, best money I ever spent.

http://www.accelerationkarting.com/turbotirechanger.aspx

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication