Home Forums Shifter Karts tilted engine mount?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

Hey I have seen that the newer ICC/KZ2 engines from all manufactures have tilted the cylinder more upright. They have either changed the engine design or just put the engine on a tilted mount. I know TM for the K9b had a flat mount. Than the K9c had a 5 degree or so tilted engine mount. The K10 case was redesigned to be have the cylinder more titled and to match an engine mount for the K9 series engine has been made that has around 13 degrees of tilt.

I have been told that this new tilt give better torque. I am confused how a tilted engine mount helps. The only thing I can figure is that maybe things are balanced a little better being more upright and that the carb cylinder comb works better being more horizontal.

I would like to know what the theory is and more importantly has anyone run a K9 series engine or similar on a flat mount and than a tilted mount and noticed a difference. If so what was the difference and how much. Thanks for any info.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

JB,

When I read the info on the new design (more upright cylinder) I took a different idea from it. I was under the impression the upright cylinder gave better intake flow (in the explanation) and simply made better power.

Way back in the day the air cooled K77 had a round bottom end. The threaded bosses were located on the front and rear of the casting instead of the bottom and the engine was mounted flat on it’s front side! Of course, it was a rotory valve model engine. The K78/K88 had a flat bottom and was mounted in a more standard way. The 77 could be mounted in the same fashion with some creative adapted mounts, it also made for a wide bolt pattern.

What the old school explanation represents is this: I don’t see how the angle of an engines mounting in relation to the crank can have anything to do with applying torque.

I’d be interested to see a back to back dyno comparison either way.

It is the wonderful thing about our hobby, anything is OK as long as its legal!!!

RPM

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.