Home Forums General Karting Discussion Tie-rod question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Lawson 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bob Spedding

My son runs an Arrow AX8 chassis.  We are new to the sport and I am looking to buy a few spare tie-rods for his kart.  The current tie-rods are 10″ long. What I don’t know is the size of the eyelets.  Would they be 8mm, 5/16th, 1/4th, 3/8th  ?  I didn’t know if there was  a standard size it should be for this chassis.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tony zambos

When you purchase the tie rod, ask the vendor for the appropriate left and right hand threaded ends. There is one of each per tie-rod. Probably 8mm. Don’t forget to get a couple of left hand thread jam nuts.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Bob – it might not be safe to “assume” they are OEM Arrow tie rods…  I would check with an Arrow dealer for what the OEM tie rods are and see if they can confirm what you have to be OEM.  Also, some chassis have offset tie rods, where the left and right sides are not the same length.  I would check this as well.

Bob Spedding

Thanks guys.  Tim, I would have no idea who is an Arrow dealer. I bought the kart from an individual.  How would I go about finding an Arrow dealer?

Thanks for all your help

Andy Seesemann

Andy Seesemann
    Orange, CA.
    Full Throttle Karting
    Challenge of the Americas
    USRMC Director
    WKA District 10 Trustee

Walt Gifford

Compare them to a bolt or nut with known thread.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

tony zambos

While you’re buying tie-rods, assuming they’re for spares, invest in a spare steering shaft.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Troy Berry

You will want to get spare Heim joints. They usually bend or break with the tie rods.

"The Art is in the details"
    Intrepid Cruiser LO 206

Gary Lawson

Comet has some oem tie rods still and also replacement rods from kart master or wild kart. Just call and provide length and what color you desire.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication