Home Forums Shifter Karts throttle cable

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Troy V Smith 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

My old throttle cable gave up the ghost, need help. I bought a new one about a year back from one of the kart parts mailorder outfits and it doesnt look the same as my old one. The old one is larger diameter and coated in vinyl, where the new one is plain metal strands. Where can I get a nice one that matches my old one?

Troy V Smith
    Participant

Hey Bill, just because it looks a bit different doesn’t mean it won’t work just fine. I think the biggest issue with a throttle cable is going to be the type of anchor you need for your carb slide. May be round, or barrel? Browse, or check with Fastec, SharkShifter, Extreme to see if they have something that matches. But if you’re using a cable from the mid 90′s, I bet things have probably changed.

bo rougeou
    Participant

I may be stating the obvious, but the throttle cable is just that, a cable that runs inside a vinyl covered sheath.  The new one you got may be the inside cable.  You need an inside part most often.  Any of those places mentioned will  have what you are looking for.  You might try cable housing AND cable assembly.

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

Troy and Bo,

Your guy’s karts are using a steel braided cable without a vinyl covering, but inside a vinyl outer housing? Mine is vinyl covered and in a plastic cable housing.

Troy V Smith
    Participant

Bill, there are a couple variations of cable assemblies, but in general, they all serve the same purpose. Yes, on each of our karts, we have a bare steel braided cable which is housed inside a sheath/sleeve (could be vinyl, plastic, teflon tubing – whatever). If the cable you use is coated in vinyl, I wouldn’t fret over using a bare steel cable. As Bo said, you might look at getting a whole assembly (cable and sleeve) – you will need to make sure that the anchor on the cable is what will fit your carb slide though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.