Home Forums General Karting Discussion TaG Heavy?

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Fletch Wulff 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Fletch Wulff
    Participant

Just curious as to why there isn’t a TaG heavy class in most national events, like FWT or Rock Island….?

TaG Heavy as in 400lbs ish and open to drivers 15 or 16 and up.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Masters divisions is basically a Heavy class, as long as the driver is 190lbs-200lbs depending on the event/series/organization.

David Cole - eKartingNews.com Managing Editor -
    @DavidColeEKN

Fletch Wulff
    Participant

Thanks for the reply David. I run Masters locally but it looks to me like many sanctioning bodies don’t have a rule allowing a driver under 30 or 32 to compete even if they meet the weight requirement. I am 23 and would love to run some of the national events but only in a class I feel I can be competitive in.

Thanks

David Cole
    Keymaster

What engine category?

@DavidColeEKN

Fletch Wulff
    Participant

TaG or IAME

I had been running my Rotax in TaG Master and Rotax Master but have decided to run the x30 this year.

I ran Rock Island several years ago and would love to go back, I’ve always wanted to try the Florida Winter Tour and Supernats as well.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Your options for regional and national are limited. GoPro has a X30 Heavy class. WKA and USPKS does not have a Masters category, or Heavy division. The F-Series has a Formula 125 with Parilla Leopard at 380lbs, maybe they would add the X30?

Most have removed the 190lbs./200lbs. option for younger drivers in the Masters division. Old guys didn’t like young guys wrecking them. Its a shame, as it gave two different age groups/size groups to race at the national level. Now there is a void for the drivers 18-32 that are 180lbs or more a place to be competitive.

@DavidColeEKN

Fletch Wulff
    Participant

There certainly seems to be a void. It doesn’t seem like the Masters kart counts are spectacular for many of these events either.

Tom Grisham
    Participant

“Wrecking”?  No group seems to “turn down” to avoid being passed more than the “seasoned” guys, both in TAG and shifter….

Fletch Wulff
    Participant

I’ll agree with you there, Tom!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication