Home Forums Tech Talk Switching from Castor Blend to Redline Two Cycle Oil

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Walter Sahaydak
    Participant

KT-100 Yamaha

We are relatively new to the karting world and purchased a used Jr Sportsman kart which we’ve recently gone over and gotten on track.  The previous owner ran a castor mix although he really had no reason why he had chosen castor.  After reading up on forums and different articles we have decided to switch to a synthetic and chose Redline.  After additional reading it looks like 16:1 is the ratio we want to go with (please let me know if  am way off here).

My question is should I drain the remaining castor based fuel in the tank and then refill it with the new Redline based fuel or is it ok to run the current fuel down to say a 1/4 tank and then fill it up with the Redline mix ?

Thanks

Matthew Chin
    Participant

I would run either all the castor and then straight switch to redline. It shouldn’t take to long to empty a kart tank. You could mix the two together. Just not recommended.

Jim White
    Participant

I’ve run Yamahas for many years. I’ve used castor, synthetic and combinations of the two. I ran the last 8 or 9 years on redline. It’s a good oil. Everybody has their opinion. As for whats in your tank, run it down low and then pour the new redline mix in on top. It will be fine.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Walter

I also agree with either premix will be fine

But please check with your club rules, as the previous owner may have not had a choice, since some spec classes will only let you use castor by Burris

I do like Red Line and Motul, but can’t use it at my club.

I honestly believe that any of those synthetic premix lubricants will help to prolong the life of the motor.

But if rules are not the issue here, I would highly recommend Motul or Red Line

Not to mention, it gets very cold where you live, and Castor will separate easier and faster

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

<p>Another vote for Motul 2 stroke oil. Please do NOT leave the fuel/oil mix in the tank on your kart. Only mix as much as you need for the day and drain it after the race weekend. Keep in proper gas can and shake it up good, before pouring it back in the tank for the next race day. Synthetic oils stay suspended in fuel a lot longer than castor oils do, but if you leave it in the tank for weeks, chances are, some of the oil will drop to the bottom resulting in poor running of the engine, you get the picture.</p>

Walter Sahaydak
    Participant

Thank you all for the replies.  I’m checking with the club to see if they have any rules on what fuel mixture is required.  A quick scan of the rules on the website doesn’t make any mention but i want to be sure.

We are down well below a 1/4 tank sounds like I should be fine just filling it up with the new mix this weekend.  never though about letting it sit in the tank so that is good to know as well.

I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Red Line is a great choice. I’ve been using it for years and have never stuck an engine. 16:1 is the right ratio for your set up. I would dump the remaining fuel just to inspect the bottom of the tank plus you want to get your needle settings with a know mix.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication