Home Forums Tech Talk Swiss Hutless Brake behavior??

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ted Hamilton 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I’ve rebuilt my Swiss Hutless Corsa brakes and the seals were in pretty good shape, but I found that they required a light press to reinsert the pistons in the caliper. The bled easily, but the pistons seem to extend but not really retract. I seem to recall the previous owner saying something to that effect, but I’m not familiar with SH designs and he didn’t elaborate… So, what’s the deal? Are they like motorcycle brakes that live near the disc and don’t “retract”, or should I be looking at the caliper to see why the pistons don’t slide “freely”. There are spring-loaded retract bolts, but they must not be overcoming the friction, or the master cylinder doesn’t allow for backflow…

Help appreciated from those who know… Regards, ~Ted

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Did you use brake lube when you assembled them? Try a bigger spring on the brake pedal.

Gif

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

Walt — the dust seals had gotten corrosion behind them and were binding the pistons up.  I’ll have new ones on tap shortly, but for now I cleaned the corrosion out and reinstalled the old one and the issue was fixed (mostly.)  Thanks…

~Ted

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If they leak air when they retract the air gets heated and keeps pressure on the pads.

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

The main seals are fine, but this model has a double seal on the caliper — one main fluid seal on the piston itself, then another square “wiper” seal inside on the caliper body near the edge that appears to be intended to keep brake dust, etc. out.  It’s not designed to keep air in or out on the outer dust seal in the caliper — at least not that I can tell.   I’m going to order a new set anyhow and that should take care of the issue.

I will say that the Swiss Hutless system is the best engineered system I’ve seen — remote reservoir built into the master cyl. that allows for recirculation of the fluid when the pads retract so that it’s always self-filling and stays “full”…  It must work somewhat like a piston-port.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.