Home Forums General Karting Discussion Sunoco 110

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Joeb1983 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Picked up a few gallons of Sunoco 110 leaded race gas to mix with some premium pump advised by my brother-in-law.

I usually run 101 unleaded pump, but it’s getting pretty pricey at the one station here in the city that carries it.

Back to the 110: I noticed it didn’t have a “sweet” smell to it I’m used to. Not that smell is the only thing I’m worried about, but since my kart is setup to run 101, is this something of concern?

Never ran this fuel before, but everyone online says it should smell pretty dang good… It smells only a tad different than my 91 for the lawn equipment… Lol! Maybe it’s an older batch?

It was purple in color like Sunoco states.

Any input?

Mike Janotski

Maybe you’re overlooking it

Michael Hartzfeld

I’ve used Sunoco 110 leaded for the past 3-4 years in my Leopard.  Works great, and I’ve never had any issues.  I did run about 5 gallons of VP as a comparison once and noticed no differences.

I think it smells like gasoline, but perhaps my sense of smell isn’t as nuanced as others?

The leftover Sunoco also seems to run just fine in the snow blower during the off season.  🙂

Walt Gifford

Race gas will deteriorate quickly if not properly stored.

Yeah, I’m not sure and don’t mean to make a mountain out of a molehill here, but I just thought it was odd… Like I said, I’ve never run it before, so I guess I expected something different.

I spoke with a vender of Sunoco race fuels and he said it will start smelling like regular gasoline as it ages and that this could also have a lot to do with the way it was stored as well like Gif stated.

I purchased it from a Simons Petroleum here in Oklahoma City that is also supplied by Pilot Logistics. They supply race fuel for a vast majority of local and non-local racers. Although they did change the name to Simons recently if I recall… Still the same place, just a different name. (The company has since been purchased by Maxum Petroleum and gone public)

I spoke with them on the  phone with them and they said it should definitely have a race gas smell to it, but seeing how its leaded, it definitely wont be as sweet as my unleaded 101 due to the lead.

I threw some in my blower and the exhaust had a faint hint of race gas, but nothing that stood out like my 101. It ran perfectly fine and was actually easier to start. (Usually it is a PITA) Who knows… We will have to see I guess… Maybe Ill stick with the 101 and pay the extra $.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication