Home Forums Tech Talk sunnen mandrel

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rodney Ebersole 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

What number Sunnen mandrel would you recommend to hone a Briggs World Formula engine plz? Not talking a flex hone.  thanks

William Martin
    Participant

What’s the bore size? Somewhere I think I have a Sunnen catalogue…years old, but still ok for this I think.

-bill

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

Bill, I think the Y72-2625PF mandrel is the one. Thanks

William Martin
    Participant

A mere $401 in my 1997 catalog… ugh. Glad you found it!

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

Billy, can you lend me some money to buy it? Must be 700 bucks now, yikes!

William Martin
    Participant

You might want to check out the SN & JN series of portable hones, not quite so expensive. Not cheap either, but maybe half the cost. I bought an SN-75 model some 20 years ago, for 100cc cast iron cylinders, it works great. Just need a big 1/2 inch drill to turn it.

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

Billy, I have an expensive floor model Sunnen Hone with loads of smaller mandrels but nothing big enough to do Briggs World Formula. I ‘ve found those flex drill driven hones to be less accurate with bore roundness. These floor models get the bore perfect for me. just my take on it

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

The portable hone isn’t a flex hone. It uses the same mandrel seen on the AN600 mandrel which is the mandrel I prefer to use when honing a briggs block or FV cylinder in my Sunnen machine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication