Home Forums Shifter Karts street karter's, represent

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Shawn Fountain 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Shawn Fountain
    Participant

I can’t be the only one that enjoys street karting.

Just don’t have the time, or motivation to find a track.

I pull her out every once and a blue moon.

I do enjoy scouting for new riding locations, next up for me is exploring this 3 level parking garage that is empty on the weekends.

I ususally hit a location, hurry up and unload, rip for 20-30 minutes, then i’m out.

Jimmy McNeil
    Participant

This should be fun 🙂

Shawn Fountain
    Participant

Didn’t see any representation for those of us that do this type of karting.

Well aware of the inherent dangers, legal/physical.

I’m 41, btw.

This is my 5th month of ownership, and first shifter kart, but have been into motorsports since I was 14 (1987).

I am learning the characteristic (sp?)  of the cr 125 engine. I, usually run out of straightaway before the powerband  kicks in. Don’t intend to blow my top end before I rebuild her.

Sorry for rambling..

brian downing
    Participant

Looks fun, and I did stuff like this when I was younger, but…

What about grownup stuff like liability? What if you hit a parked car, are you insured?

What’s fun about karting is driving on the limit and that requires a track with runoff areas, ambulance, etc. Safety, safety, safety. I know I sound like an old man, and I am, but age brings with it sagacity.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Shawn, You are going to find that the kart racing community overall will take a dim view of running a kart on public streets and areas. Most will complain about sullying the image of organized karting not to mention that it’s dangerous and illegal.

Don’t expect a lot of support on this forum,

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Richard Gordon
    Participant

If you insist on doing this, you would be better off finding a very large, open parking lot.  I have broken in race car motors in abandoned shipping lot before.  No other vehicles and no obstacles to hit.  I did have one onlooker show up, but he was just interested in the car.  Otherwise, go to a track.  Most tracks will allow track time.  Our track is open 7 days a week and no one is there during the week in the morning, so I have the track to myself for $60.  Can run as fast or slow as needed in a safe environment.n

johnny brooks
    Participant

“Didn’t see any representation for those of us that do this type of karting.”
    It’s not a type of ‘karting’, only a type of ‘stupidity’!

“Just don’t have the time, or motivation to find a track.”
    What an arrogant SOB!

The sport of Kart Racing has enough issues to deal with; we certainly don’t need a future ‘Darwin Award’ winner like you to give a bad impression to those who see you being a moron on public streets. Hopefully you’ll be arrested and your shit impounded…before you end up dead or disabled.
    I’d expect this type of post from a young teenager…grow up already! 41 ???

There’s a reason sanctioning bodies have rules like this:

“Rule 114.1 KARTS ON PUBLIC ROADS:
    Any WKA member driving a kart on public thoroughfares or who assists a person driving a kart on public thoroughfares is subject to immediate suspension of membership privileges.”

Hopefully you’ve used your real name and WKA/IKF/AKRA and all the local clubs see this and flag you as unfit.

just my humble opinion.

Jimmy McNeil
    Participant

Shawn Fountain
    Participant

All points duly noted.

It really isn’t any different from the guy or gal purchasing that 1400cc hayabusa or 1000cc R1 sport bike that has zero intention of ever putting it on a track.

He uses it at his own discretion, no?

He can even choose to make it into a stunt bike, really, it’s all in a persons perrrogative.

How many dirt bikes/quads are sold annually to hobbyist, that have no intention of hitting a motorcross track to become the next Jeremy McGrath or James Stewart? Strictly for private usage.

I’m willing to bet, with cash in hand, anyone can go to any of the foremost kart manufacturers and let them know upfront that they have no intention of doing a track day with a potential kart, and they’d still be inclined to get them into the sport.

Personally, I, have no ambition in ever becoming a lewis hamilton or a sebastian vettle.

The kart, for me, is a brief respite or reprieve from the everyday.

I’m not advocating shooting through a neighborhood at wot.

It’s always interesting  to see other creative riding aspects or locations.

James O’Brien
    Participant

Visit our Online Parts Store www.eshifterkart.com
    or
    www.facebook.com/eshifterkart

Shawn Fountain
    Participant

That looks fantastic James!

I’ve seen your video before (beautifully shot there man) and have been to your store front (will get my business in the future).

I’m always inspired by these type of karting videos.

They just seem more realistic to me, than the semi pro drivers hitting 100+ miles down a back straight, or the yahoo (no disrespect) taking a corner at 50-60 mph.

johnny brooks
    Participant

Wow, you guys really just don’t ‘get it’.
    Thinking that buzzin around the streets on bikes or atvs, etc. is somehow relevent…..

We are only talking about racing karts. We are a small community that lacks exposure. Any exposure we do get should be positive…such as the CBS Sports coverage of the SKUSA races.

I’ll repeat that I hope you are both arrested and charged with maximum offenses…speeding, reckless, unlicensed, uninsured…maybe losing your driver’s license for a while might change your habits.

Grow up boys…..find some private property to do your doughnuts on.
    Promote karting in a positive, family friendly manner….NOT BY BREAKING EVERY DRIVING LAW ON THE BOOKS!!

FWIW- I’ve been karting for 30 years and never ran a kart on a public street.

again…just my opinion

I received a PM from Mr. Obrien so I’ve removed part of my post.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Johnny, that was worded a little stronger than I would have done but by the same token I agree with you completely. I’ve been in the karting business for over 35 years and the last thing we need is to get publicity for the wrong reasons. Should there be a tragedy from somebody using public streets or publicly accessed areas the lawmakers will come after everybody including legitimate kart racers.

Keep it on the track boys.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

James O’Brien
    Participant

I removed the link Johnny, I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Visit our Online Parts Store www.eshifterkart.com
    or
    www.facebook.com/eshifterkart

Shawn Fountain
    Participant

Update, just looked over kart and a cdi coil wire became unplugged.

Don’t think I blew my top end after all.

johnny brooks
    Participant

Wow….totally clueless.

Hey admin….maybe you could ban (and delete) all video of illegal street use of a racing kart.

This is a forum to promote racing….this clown just doesn’t get it.

Shawn, do us a favor here and stick to youtube!

Shawn Fountain
    Participant

Certainly won’t engage any disgruntled internet keyboard warriors.

If my short videos offend anyone’s sensibilities, well…

Hey, why not post better interpretations of your own open air motoring experiences, before trying to play someone else’s conscience, yeah?

Let me guess, someone has to play the designated villain here, as with on all message board sites. Next comes the mob mentality with the knifes & pitch forks, no?

Listen, i  don’t over value an item, it’s just a kart to me. I do my best to pick semi controlled riding enviorments, i’m no Aryton Senna, neither are you.

Live & let live. There are hundreds of skusa related track crashes & fatalities on youtube as well.

It’s the reason you sign your waiver releasing culpability from the event holders.

You go on an sustain spinal injury trying to be Andretti. I don’t harass you, do I?

Shawn Fountain
    Participant

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication