Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Briggs LO206 Strange LO206 symptom

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  FREDDY SANDOVAL 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

When I start my engines, everything seems fine. When I pull out on the track, I get a sensation the chassis is banging on the ground, but it’s not. Then after a lap, the banging is gone. I’m pretty sure this is the engine. Is this normal or a symptom of a used engine on it’s way to failure?

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

Don’t over think it.  Service your clutch, eg: remove, disassemble, clean/lub, check for damage..reinstall.  It could be clutch chatter.  Make sure the chain is properly adjusted.  If it’s too loose, it might be jumping teeth.  206’s have no HP, so I suspect you’ll find the problem pretty easily.

Let us know what you find,

Clark Sr.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Yup! Clark is right, and spot on!

Also see if clutch may need to be re clocked, that might be your issue too.

William Weiler
    Participant

I took the clutch apart and serviced it beforehand, but not for this reason. I found the snap ring was sketchy, and I replaced the needle bearing. I wiped the drum clean. One concerning things was, as I rotate the wheels (sprocket) the chain tension varies about 1/4″ deflection, likely a not very true sprocket (but it’s brand new). I find the tightest spot and adjust it there.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

Bryan Williams
    Participant

Noram clutch?

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Very common chain issue, tight and loose, but has nothing to do with your clutch binding, most likely you have a slightly bent axle or a bad carrier.

It is very important you reply to Bryan Williams about the type of clutch you have though. He has a lot of knowledge, plus he has lots of engines, clutches and a bunch of stuff, if you ever need anything Briggs related, he is the man.

Is this your old engine, that you had no idea how many hours it had on it? Plus leaking oil at the cases? He has brand new ones in stock, and will be at Button willow this Sunday. Just sayin’

William Weiler
    Participant

I have a flame fire clutch with a bully conversion. The clutch seems okay. I can check the runout on my axle. Both the Kart and engine are used. I didn’t assume they are in 100% guaranteed shape.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

George Young
    Participant

William. Make sure the air gap between the sprocket halves are equal. Try to use a thumb to hold down the sprocket half firmly on the sprocket carrier as you tighten the Center bolt. Make sure your sprocket half spans the split in the sprocket carrier and does not line up with it. Make sure your sprocket carrier is true as far as left to right runout. If not don’t throw it out have a friend with a lathe use a piece of an old 50mm axle and take a few thousandths off until true. We race the 401 also runs nice. Good luck.

George Young
    Participant

William. Make sure the air gap between the sprocket halves are equal. Try to use a thumb to hold down the sprocket half firmly on the sprocket carrier as you tighten the Center bolt. Make sure your sprocket half spans the split in the sprocket carrier and does not line up with it. Make sure your sprocket carrier is true as far as left to right runout. If not don’t throw it out have a friend with a lathe use a piece of an old 50mm axle and take a few thousandths off until true. If you don’t take the clutch apart to clean it , at least spray brake parts cleaner in the drum area (use the tube so you can direct it better) to remove the dust. When you’re done with the brake parts cleaner don’t forget to use some white lithium grease on the roller bearing. You really should do this before each session, but don’t go crazy with the white lithium grease, it only takes a little bit. Just two small squirts directed between the mount bolt and the drive sprocket. Make sure to use the tube that comes with the grease.  We race the 401 also runs nice. Good luck.

Bryan Williams
    Participant

Negative on the break cleaner. To harsh of a chemical that is not good on the shoe compound. Use compressed with a long nozzle to clean debris with out removing. Best to remove and clean with Wd-40.

directly from Shannon Halbert, a guy that David Klaus said has his shit together. So I do what he says:
    >We recommend cleaning the clutch after every race weekend. Remove from the kart, spray off any dust or loose material with compressed air. Spray the entire clutch assembly, drum included, with WD40 and let the clutch soak for a few moments. This does two things;  allows the wd40 to loosen any grime and dirt on the parts, and it allows the parts to maintain their correct coefficient of friction and wear. DO NOT use Brake Cleaner, carb cleaner, or any other harsh degreasers; >This  will strip any oils from the parts and cause a very aggressive engagement and accelerate wear dramatically. We will not warranty in any way, any clutch that is cleaned with harsh chemicals.

Bryan Williams
    Participant

Did a cut and paste. Not sure why there is all that extra writing in there but you can read it and get the point

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Yeah, it always does that, been doing it for many years.

Usually I go back and delete all the unneeded  lettering that comes with the pasting, all that aerial crap! Lol.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Hey, Bryan!

My brand new chassis is all put together and ready for an LO206 engine package, looks pretty sad with out it.

Please hook me up with an engine buddy. Lol

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication