Home Forums General Karting Discussion Storing an AMB Transponder for the Winter

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Kozakowski 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jim Howe
    Participant

Purchased my first AMB transponder for the team just back in March and have charged it throughout the season. Now that the season is over, is there any special way to store it for the winter?

I know you can put it in the charging cradle and it goes into hibernation mode. But the battery will drains eventually. Is that okay?

Looking for guidelines everybody….

jim

tony zambos
    Participant

Jim, charge it once a month during the off season. Take it out of the charger as soon as you can after it charges. Mine has lasted over ten years that way without a problem.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

I’m with Tony.  I usually leave on the counter in the shop for the winter and toss it into the charger every month or so.  I’ve had mine for many years as well.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

I wouldn’t necessarily “recommend” this, but one option is to do nothing with it.  I’ve had my transponder since 1998, had it stored in the garage (in Edmonton, Alberta where it gets COLD in the winter) for 10 years when I got out of karting, pulled it out of storage and it’s worked the last 3 years as if it was new.

Honestly, I think it might be more luck of the draw than anything as to why one transponder lasts and another doesn’t.

The one thing I’ve always done is to let it run completely out of charge before re-charging it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.