Home Forums Shifter Karts Stock Honda CR-125

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  StockMoto Joel 1 year ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Michael Rutter
    Participant

Hello, I have been very interested in this class and mine (mostly my dad’s) concerns are

• Price of a used motor?
    • Chassis Recommendation?
    • Rebuild intervals and what are usually replaced?
    • usual prices on rebuilds

An extra would be if anybody has a used motor their willing to part with?

James McMahon
    Participant

Hi Michael and welcome…..

Used cost on a Stock Moto engine package seems to be around, $2800 however they seem to have dropped a little of late. Here’s what I posted in another thread…

Used about $2500 with a ’99 cylinder, probably $2800-$3500 (or more) with an ’01.
    New kit (you assemble and prepare) $2800 for the 99kit, add another $400ish of you want ’01.
    Brand spanking new and assembled $3800-$5500 (and beyond).

Rebuild interval is a contentious subject, but I would say 25hrs on a top end and perhaps two tops before changing the bottom would be a good rule of thumb. Many claim to run their top ends much as 50hrs in a stock moto when being used as a practice donkey, tread carefully there.  Like I say, opinions as well as situations vary a lot. If you are running hard and competitively look at changing top end every 5hrs or so.

I think most would agree that running a quality leaded racing gas and racing oil will help ensure the motor stays in good shape, especially those bearings that you cant inspect visually down the bottom. Periodic inspections of the internals of any motor that’s having the living daylights revved out of it is a good idea.

Provided your cylinder is still in good shape you could do a top end yourself and have change out of $150.

Chassis wise, if the Birel or Corsa range is working for you with your existing fleet and you have good contacts and support, I think stick with those brands.

Michael Rutter
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>James McMahon wrote:</div>

New kit (you assemble and prepare) $2800 for the 99kit, add another $400ish of you want ’01.<br>
    Brand spanking new and assembled $3800-$5500 (and situations vary

How complicated is it to assemble? Do you think a fairly mechanically oriented 14 year old could assemble a kit?

<hr>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-signature”>Be a part of something awesome for kart racing: https://www.facebook.com/kartpulse</div>

James McMahon
    Participant

Hard to say. You will be assembling from absolute scratch, cases, gears, clutch, crank, etc. etc. The kit is a box of over 300 parts. I’m trying to find it online…. but not having any luck.

James McMahon
    Participant

I sit corrected, the kit is in fact $2300, at least from Extreme.
    That said you would need to purchase your carb, exhaust, silencer, motor mount, drive gear and other odds and ends to get it ready to bolt on and run. By the time you’ve bought all that I would guess you would be at $3000 easy enough.

CR125 Kit

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Just call Swedetech pick up one of their SuperNats rentals for the best price around and have a quality bullet. Drop a top end in it before every race and have them do the bottom end every winter. Can’t go wrong…

StockMoto Joel
    Participant

I have a spare Stock Moto CR125 6 spd, 99 cylinder (believe cylinder is new)… does not include carb, electrics extra.  $1200 (PM or email me)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.