Home Forums Chassis & Handling Steering shaft geometry

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Bruce 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mike Bruce
    Participant

In trying to get a perfect chassis setup, I have moved the seat rearward so much that I feel like I am reaching for the steering wheel. If I lower the ateering shaft to the bottom adjustment position, will the steering shaft angle have any adverse affect on the steering geometry? Or will it be Ok once I reset the toe settings?

tony zambos
    Participant

Mike,
    You might be going about this all wrong. The seat location needs to be set first to give the kart the proper weight distribution, about 40/60. Check with your chassis manufacturer for recommended seat location.
    Next, many chassis manufacturers offer different length as steering shafts. Perhaps a longer one would work for you. There are also wedges available that fit between the steering wheel and its hub. They’ll give you an additional 5,10 or 15 degrees downward tilt to the steering wheel.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Mike Bruce
    Participant

Tony, thanks for the suggestions. I do have the seat mounted as recommended by Arrow and I am very close to 40/60 distribution. The handling has gotten better the more I move the seat back. The problem is  I am running out of legs. LOL. I have my pedals all the way back and a 15 degree spacer under the steering wheel. A longer steering shaft would make it to high and even more uncomfortable. There is a lower mounting point for the steering support but mounting there changes the angles on the steering arms.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

The steering arm angles will not change in anyway that matters. Put it where you want it.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Mike Bruce
    Participant

Thanks Walt, I did and it works same as before and a lot more comfortable to drive.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication