Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing SR-Y vs 4 Hole

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  John Wehrheim 7 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Walt Gifford
    Participant

How much faster is a SR-Y pipe than a 4 hole can? Does the 4 hole stand a chance?

Gif

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I thought I read somewhere that SR-Y was close to 1 sec / lap faster on an “average” sprint track, whatever that means. :)  I’m curious to hear the answers too….and hope my local track picked the pipe.

John Wehrheim
    Participant

SR Y produces 2hp more. At our track (barnesville)  3/10 mile the SR Y is .5 seconds faster.  A 7/10 plus track will be around a second faster than can. The SR Y is so much better. 2 hp more, more torque, lower heat, easier in the motor.

Greg Wright
    Participant

The reason that racers continue to cling the can to their hearts and reject the SR-Y combo is a total mystery to me.

Daniel White
    Participant

I race with Wehrheim, and my best lap with the pipe is over a second better than with the can–on a dink .25 mile track.

It might be better to consider our fastest, most consistent driver– Jim Hanson. He’s the<span style=”line-height: 1.5em;”> lap record holder with the can (24.4) and pipe (23.7).</span>

Jason Ewers
    Participant

Are they DoImg anything different to the motors?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

The reason that racers continue to cling the can to their hearts and reject the SR-Y combo is a total mystery to me.

I think you might be reading something into my question.

Gif

Greg Wright
    Participant

No Gif, I was replying to John Weirheim.

John Wehrheim
    Participant

Are they DoImg anything different to the motors?

Yes, but very slight. Maybe a tenth.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

A tenth of what?

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

Cough it up, what are they doing to the engines for pipe?

Jim Gerard
    Participant

Are we only talking a tenth or maybe more ?

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

Mr Gerard, sometimes getting answers to difficult questions is like hallux abducto valgus surgery if ya know what I mean.

John Wehrheim
    Participant

Guys,
    I am not an engine builder. All I can tell you is that there are some slight improvements in the carb, shape of the head and port heights. On the track, I have seen very little improvement. Initially I just used my Can motor and carb and slapped on the header, flex and pipe. Having the motor built for the pipe really did not gain me anything at our track which is only 3/10ths of a mile.

Jim Gerard
    Participant

John thanks for the response.

patrick j slattery
    Participant

There are definite different setups for the pipe, vs can, but that is information that my engine builder would not care to divulge.  The pipe can make up to 4hp more on the bottom end and below the curve of the SSX can.  On the top end they are pretty close

Mike Prokup
    Participant

The pipe was very good for karting: it is faster for some and quieter for all. the introduction of the pipe has done well for the growth of TAG racing and the emergence of L0206 Racing.

If you loved can racing, you now race USPKS and Route 66.

Jeremy Ellison
    Participant

I’m a big fan of the SR-Y pipe since they introduced it for the Gopro Motorplex series. The biggest plus is that we’re now faster than the Jr’s. I’d venture a guess that at Mooresville, it’s worth about a second a lap (<55 second laps).

It’s definitely got more bottom end, but it doesn’t seem to pull much more on top. We’re still turning about 14,2 on the downhill (same as the 4 hole can), which is nice because there’s little incentive to rev them up to hell (and rebuild them every weekend).

John Wehrheim
    Participant

Jeremy,
    Yep, the Y pipe is all bottom and mid. There is no advantage to rev the motors past 14,200. In fact you might find it better to have it even lower around 13,900 or 14,000. Also I had a whole year on my motor 12 races and probably 4 practice days and I just sent it out for a rebuild. It still ran strong and the cylinder still looked great, but rather be safe than sorry. Hopefully I can get the GA boys up to race the 27th.

Jeremy Ellison
    Participant

John,  what kind of clutch stall speeds are you guys running with the SR-Y? Good to hear you’re getting that much time out of the motors. Mine should be fresh for the next race. Are you doing rings or pistons in-between rebuilds?

John Wehrheim
    Participant

John, what kind of clutch stall speeds are you guys running with the SR-Y? Good to hear you’re getting that much time out of the motors. Mine should be fresh for the next race. Are you doing rings or pistons in-between rebuilds?

No rings and pistons between rebuilds. I use Burris Castor and Burris Blend. 4oz of each per gallon. I run around 8,900, but I’m still using a Horstman wet clutch.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.