Home Forums Road Racing Track Day Talk

This topic contains 212 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 1 day, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 201 through 213 (of 213 total)
  • Author

Mike Burrill
    Participant

I plan to go to Pitt Race.

Mike Burrill -
    Karting Kartel

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Mike,

Maybe if Paul could make it “rain” on this subject…. it would grow! 🙂

PittRace, aka “the Beav”, is in a weird area there in PA. On the fringe, a gray area so to speak. The WKC folks won’t come (they didn’t come in 06′ either) and the CES guys won’t travel that far. It will be a shame if the event doesn’t get a worthwhile turn out.

We’ll have to wait and see…..

Bob Kurkowski
    Participant

Robert,

I know I will be attending but I would say that I’m somewhat of a local [2hr.] however most all of the people I have talked to said they will be attending. I hope your wrong about the WKC guys, I would think that the chance to run on a new 2.8 mile, 19 turn track would be just too much to turn down. Hopefully the CES and WKA folks will make the trip also.

Bob K.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Bob Kurkowski.

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

The WKC folks won’t come (they didn’t come in 06′ either) and the CES guys won’t travel that far.

WTF? It’s right off Exit 1 of the PA Turnpike (I-76). They’ll drive to freaking Daytona every year no problem but suburban Pittsburgh is somehow out of the question?

It will be interesting to see the turnout for this race. I’m hoping “the track formerly known as Beaverun” becomes a permanent fixture on the schedule.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Guys,

I really hope they do come, I just dont think they will. The WKC crowd is pro-WKA and they generally will not “do” other events.

I think its fair to say the “gray area” thing happened in relation to the Vette track too. Nice new venue but its in a geographical dead spot. It isn’t a strech to say it didn’t do enough numbers to even try it again…. regardless of what is happening/happened with it even being available or suitable.

More over, lets not kid ourselves fellas. Venue or not, (AKRA, WKA, etc) we are not getting the event numbers across the board. Yes, here and there you will see what we now consider a BIG event number wise. (Mid-Ohio &  Grattan 2016)

I have talked with soooooo many people about “what happened” to RR over the past 10-15 years. The “lifers” have grown old! We dont travel much anymore, we just dont “race” much anymore. There has not been a group of new participation with any sustainability and that is just the truth. Why? Oh man, I wont even start, we will be here for hours!!! It certainly isnt a tough nut to crack though.

I know this much, the Track Day was as big as ever this April and being a “non competition event” the insurance is cheaper! Fully half of the Track Day guys are not, or no longer of, a “competitive spirit”. They go to race events because they have a kart and want to drive it, and that is really the only avenue available.

When you get older, the competition just isnt what attracts you anymore…. at least in my case.

No call on the cylinders yet, but we have lots of time!

RPM

Charles Skowron
    Participant

Charles Skowron
    Participant

The WKC folks won’t come (they didn’t come in 06′ either) and the CES guys won’t travel that far.

WTF? It’s right off Exit 1 of the PA Turnpike (I-76). They’ll drive to freaking Daytona every year no problem but suburban Pittsburgh is somehow out of the question?

It will be interesting to see the turnout for this race. I’m hoping “the track formerly known as Beaverun” becomes a permanent fixture on the schedule.

If Pitt had a race back in 2006, it likely wasn’t well attended because a road race on only the North Circuit isn’t exactly a “destination track”.

And it’s a real possibly that there might not be many WKC racers at this year’s Pitt event on the Full Course either, because the final WKC and DKC/AKRA events of the season managed to be scheduled on the exact same weekend.

-C

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Charles,

First, thanks for the input and info about scheduling. With all the “modification” you have done above you are either an engine builder or Todd and I touched a sore spot.

We are probably much alike Charles. I sat here wasting my time writing and epic then realized…. it doesn’t matter. My stating WKC wouldn’t attend was not intended to be dig…. it is what it is bro.

Can’t speak for Todd, but his frustration is valid.

I need to pay more attention. It seems, as Charles mentioned, the “schedule” has already spoken.

Happy Mothers Day Ladies!!!! 🙂

Robert Lawson
    Participant

US Chrome called, cylinders are on the way!!!!

4 weeks and counting to Mid-Ohio.

Can’t wait, really looking forward to it!

Sean Swisz
    Participant

Common Robert, age is just a frame of mind, man! Are you thinking of lining up the PITT track-day the day before the AKRA event? It’s a 4.5 (9 total) hours drive for me, not counting load times, so that would be an extremely long day. I am interested if it was a 2 day event or if it was synced up with the AKRA event.

Sean

Tony Kart / Leopard

Robert Lawson
    Participant

The Cylinders arrived yesterday and they look fabulous!!!! 🙂

We have used all the plating shops in the past but US Chrome is the best!

Thanks to Jim Anthony for giving me that tip back at Road Atlanta in 07′ (08′???). He was fresh out of the care center after a rolling start gone bad in the 250 race, as we helped get him loaded up I explained  that I had cracked my A Kit cylinder and though it was junk. Jim assured me that US Chrome would fix it right and do the best job, been using them ever since! Jim, I know you are lurking around out here!! You need to get that kart together and come race with me at Mid-Ohio buddy!!!

Sean, ssssshhhh….. you’ll blow my cover!!! Seriously, I will talk with the DKC guys and find out whats up with that Friday as that IS the direction I was headed.

My age has nothing to do with my karting ambition, or change in that ambition. I still LOVE driving the kart, and its super good fun smoking you guys at these test days!!! 🙂

That wont change, I really enjoy myself at the tests… the format, lack of urgency, the food, and most of all the people! But, the race events are not fun anymore. So little time and so great an expense…. I guess I got spoiled!

There has been talk here in town…. Rich and I will splurge on the M-O trip and really try to enjoy ourselves because it may just be our last “race” we attend as competitors. I just bought my kart back from its short term owner, it was time for it to come home to stay…. even though it never left.

Now, we get ready for Mid-Ohio. We’ll give it everything we got, leaning it on its bloody ear, and not leave anything on the table. I just hope we get dry weather!

RPM

Bruce Peck
    Participant

I’m with Sean.  Me and Kevin plan to attend the Pitt race, but a stand alone track day there would be too far to drive just for that.  Put it on race weekend?   We would do that for sure.  Shut up and take my money!  🙂

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Bruce, that made me laugh! I needed that after hearing this news….

Nicky Hayden has died in Italy this morning after suffering traumatic cerebral and chest injuries sustained in a cycling accident. Last Wednesday he was hit by a car while riding a bicycle on the streets of Rimini coast in Italy.

Man, this hurts. I pray his family can somehow find peace.

Viewing 13 posts - 201 through 213 (of 213 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication