Home Forums Road Racing Track Day Talk

This topic contains 290 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 6 hours, 30 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 291 total)
  • Author

Mike Burrill
    Participant

I plan to go to Pitt Race.

Mike Burrill -
    Karting Kartel

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Mike,

Maybe if Paul could make it “rain” on this subject…. it would grow! ūüôā

PittRace, aka “the Beav”, is in a weird area there in PA. On the fringe,¬†a gray area so to speak. The WKC folks won’t come (they didn’t come in 06′ either) and¬†the CES guys¬†won’t travel that far. It will be¬†a shame if the event¬†doesn’t get¬†a worthwhile turn out.

We’ll have to wait and see…..

Bob Kurkowski
    Participant

Robert,

I know I will be attending but I would say that¬†I’m somewhat of a local [2hr.]¬†however most all of the people I have talked to said they will be attending. I hope your wrong about the WKC guys, I would think that the chance to run on a new 2.8 mile, 19 turn track would be just too much to turn down. Hopefully the CES and WKA¬†folks will make the trip also.

Bob K.

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

The WKC folks won’t come (they didn’t come in 06′ either) and the CES guys won’t travel that far.

WTF? It’s right off Exit 1 of the PA Turnpike (I-76). They’ll drive to freaking Daytona every year no problem but suburban Pittsburgh is somehow out of the question?

It will be interesting to see the turnout for this race. I’m hoping “the track formerly known as Beaverun” becomes a permanent fixture on the schedule.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Guys,

I really hope they do come, I just dont think they will. The¬†WKC crowd is pro-WKA and they generally will not “do” other events.

I think its fair to say the¬†“gray area”¬†thing happened in relation to the Vette track too. Nice new venue but its in a¬†geographical dead spot. It isn’t a strech to say it didn’t do enough numbers to even try it again…. regardless of what is happening/happened with it even being available or suitable.

More over, lets not kid ourselves fellas. Venue or not, (AKRA, WKA, etc) we are not getting the event numbers across the board. Yes, here and there you will see what we now consider a BIG event number wise. (Mid-Ohio &  Grattan 2016)

I have talked with soooooo many people about “what¬†happened” to RR over the past 10-15 years. The¬†“lifers” have grown old! We dont travel much anymore, we just dont “race” much anymore. There has not been a group of new participation with any sustainability and that is just the truth. Why? Oh man, I wont even start, we will be here for hours!!! It certainly isnt a tough nut to crack though.

I know this much, the Track Day was as big as ever this April and being a “non competition event” the insurance is cheaper!¬†Fully half of the Track Day guys are not, or no longer¬†of, a “competitive spirit”. They go to race events because they have a kart and want to drive it, and that is really the only¬†avenue available.

When you get older, the competition just isnt what attracts you anymore…. at least in my case.

No call on the cylinders yet, but we have lots of time!

RPM

Charles Skowron
    Participant

Charles Skowron
    Participant

The WKC folks won’t come (they didn’t come in 06′ either) and the CES guys won’t travel that far.

WTF? It’s right off Exit 1 of the PA Turnpike (I-76). They’ll drive to freaking Daytona every year no problem but suburban Pittsburgh is somehow out of the question?

It will be interesting to see the turnout for this race. I‚Äôm hoping ‚Äúthe track formerly known as Beaverun‚ÄĚ becomes a permanent fixture on the schedule.

If Pitt had a race back in 2006, it likely wasn’t well attended because a road race on only the North Circuit isn’t exactly a “destination track”.

And it’s a real possibly that there might not be many WKC racers at this year’s Pitt event on the Full Course either, because the final WKC and DKC/AKRA events of the season managed to be scheduled on the exact same weekend.

-C

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Charles,

First, thanks for the input and info about scheduling. With all the “modification” you have done above you are either an engine builder or Todd and I touched a sore spot.

We are probably much alike Charles. I sat here wasting my time writing and epic then realized…. it doesn’t matter. My stating WKC wouldn’t attend was not intended to be¬†dig…. it is what it is bro.

Can’t speak for Todd, but his frustration is valid.

I need to pay more attention. It seems, as Charles mentioned, the “schedule” has already spoken.

Happy Mothers Day Ladies!!!! ūüôā

Robert Lawson
    Participant

US Chrome called, cylinders are on the way!!!!

4 weeks and counting to Mid-Ohio.

Can’t wait, really looking forward to it!

Sean Swisz
    Participant

Common Robert, age is just a frame of mind, man! Are you thinking of lining up the PITT track-day the day before the AKRA event? It’s a 4.5 (9 total) hours drive for me, not counting load times, so that would be an extremely long day. I am interested if it was a 2 day event or if it was synced up with the AKRA event.

Sean

Tony Kart / Leopard

Robert Lawson
    Participant

The Cylinders arrived yesterday and they look fabulous!!!! ūüôā

We have used all the plating shops in the past but US Chrome is the best!

Thanks to Jim Anthony for giving me that tip back¬†at Road Atlanta in 07′ (08′???). He was fresh out of the care center after a rolling start gone bad in the 250 race, as we helped get him loaded up I explained¬† that I had cracked my A Kit cylinder and though it was junk. Jim assured me that US Chrome¬†would fix it right and do the best job, been using them ever since! Jim, I know you are lurking around out here!! You need to get that kart together and come race with me at Mid-Ohio buddy!!!

Sean, ssssshhhh….. you’ll¬†blow my cover!!! Seriously, I will talk with the DKC guys and find out whats up with that Friday as that IS the direction I was headed.

My age has nothing to do with my karting ambition, or change in that ambition. I still LOVE driving the kart, and its super good fun smoking you guys at these test days!!! ūüôā

That wont change, I really enjoy myself at the tests… the format, lack of urgency, the food, and most of all the people! But, the race events are not fun anymore. So little time and so great an expense…. I guess I got spoiled!

There has been talk here in town…. Rich¬†and I will splurge on the M-O trip and really try to enjoy ourselves because it may just be our last “race” we attend as competitors. I just bought my kart back from its short term owner,¬†it was¬†time¬†for it to come home to stay…. even though it never left.

Now, we get ready for Mid-Ohio. We’ll give it¬†everything we got,¬†leaning it on its bloody ear, and not leave anything on the table. I just hope we get dry weather!

RPM

Bruce Peck
    Participant

I’m with Sean.¬† Me and Kevin plan to attend the Pitt race, but a stand alone track day there would be too far to drive just for that.¬† Put it on race weekend?¬†¬† We would do that for sure.¬† Shut up and take my money!¬† ūüôā

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Bruce, that made me laugh! I needed that after hearing this news….

Nicky Hayden has died in Italy this morning after suffering traumatic cerebral and chest injuries sustained in a cycling accident. Last Wednesday he was hit by a car while riding a bicycle on the streets of Rimini coast in Italy.

Man, this hurts. I pray his family can somehow find peace.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Back at it today.

We use a TM piston in both the RS Honda and Vortex ICC and I sent one with the cylinders to be replated. There is a range of piston size choices available. I chose one in the middle of that range so I could tighten up or free up the wall clearance as I wanted.

Something told me to check the ring end gap.¬†In most cases of just changing out a worn topend for new bits I dont even look at this. Talking to some other guys I find I’m not alone! But, in this case, with new plating and having sent a larger piston along to be used for “fitting”, I took a look. Glad I did!

The wall clearance is good but that end gap looked tight, so I measured it. At¬†.009 its too tight so we have some work to do on both of them.¬†Not sure if its due to the larger piston size or what but I’m glad I checked.

Rich is waiting on a couple 3/8″ “freeze plugs” to arrive at the Auto Parts store, they dont stock them that small! The plugs are for the base gasket surface H2O passages. His engine model year is 94′ and the cylinder is from an 03′. The 94′ didnt pass H2O through the bottom end like the 95′ and up¬†RS 125’s so we¬†plug that off just to be sure of no-leaky.

So, we should be able to have things back together and running this weekend.

Its been a long time since I have looked forward to Indy¬†but I have a “horse in the race”…. GO FERNANDO!!!!!

RPM

Charles Skowron
    Participant

Charles,

….First, thanks for the input and info about scheduling. With all the ‚Äúmodification‚ÄĚ you have done above you are either an engine builder or Todd and I touched a sore spot……

No, all of the modifications and edits on my posts were because, after almost 4 years, I still haven’t figured out how to use the “quote” button on this revised forum.

-C

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Right on Chuck.

Dang, Fernando had a shot there at Indy…. I wonder if he ran it out of gas and blew it up??? It happens ya know!

We are getting things together here. New clutch and reeds are on the way and I took the bike for a little rip and picked up Rich’s little freeze plugs. Hmm, freeze plugs…. aww forget it!!! ūüôā¬† Tires on order tomorrow.

I certianly hope we get the best possible weather down there. How is the parking/paddock set up now? Do we have to pit way up top if we dont have a garage???¬†No “free pitting” down below????

Let me know!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

1 down 1 to go!

My¬†engine is finished and install is all buttoned up. Have not started it yet, that will follow tomorrow…. watch for the coming video. ūüėČ

Rich’s freeze plug debacle continues, they ordered the wrong size!!! I will drill/tap those holes and use aluminum¬†NPT plugs, tired of screwing around.

Been cleaning the dreaded “grey/stained aluminum” on the trailer. I got 1/2 of 1 side cleaned up today and ran out of cleaner AND energy! Has anyone tried the “LA’s Totally Awesome Cleaner”??? It sells at most dollar stores and the reviews and results on YouTube are…. well, awesome! Spray it on, wipe it off! The dark streaks and generally greyed over white panels have always been a pain in the rear to clean up so I’m getting some of this stuff tomorrow.¬†I’ll let you know how it works! I had been using¬†Carquest brand “purple cleaner” which is great but you better wear gloves!!!

We will be pitting in the upper paddock, “Up on the hill, with the rest of the Hill Billy’s” I was told!!!¬†Bringing the generator too, figured we should probably get some use out of it, right??

Weather looks pretty good for 15-18 at this point!

We’ll see!!

RPM

Bob Kurkowski
    Participant

Robert,

You and Richard will fit in real well up on ‘the hill’ especially with that cleaned up single wide.

See you next week.

Bob K.

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Hey Robert – have you seen this?

http://www.nelsonledges.com/2017/06/08/update-june-8/

Hard to believe it’s been almost ten years since we raced there.

Not sure if I’ll be ready for Mid-Ohio, but if I don’t race I’ll at least come out for a day or two.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hey Guys, Yes! I did see that!

I have re-fired the planned road trip from last Fall to include Nelson too.

Need to get through the weekend at Mid-Ohio with a running kart first though!!! Just finishing Rich’s engine today, have not started mine yet either but will do so later today.

Everything looks good, I have started calling this Summer the “Retirement Tour” as I wont be doing the “race events” anymore and really concentrating on a Track Day program.

I always figured when our “stuff” became irrelevent and without a class or participation we would be done. I’m not moving to another class or upgrading just to turn laps…. I get plenty of that at a better rate on Track Days.

Competitive Karting has truly turned into a stepping stone to other things. Road Racing has suffered for quite some time now and¬†pop culture is continuing to change in that same direction. Drones, Video¬†and Internet gaming…. even less invasive “racing” like indoor RC¬†seems to be¬†more attractive and lets be honest, less work, than karting. Especially karting that takes up more than an afternoon of their time and requires long travel with trailers and RV’s. I’m not poo-pooing here, just giving you what I have heard from folks who were here for a season or 2 then disapeared. Even some from families of a long history of karting, now grown up and finding other interests.¬†They get into¬†tuner cars or sport bikes because they can do¬†it everyday, it can be¬†financed,¬†requires no days off or travel.¬†There has been alot of that in the past 20 – 30 years.

I have plenty of friends that have karts sitting, leaning, covered, that are not being used or are not going to be used again.

Love my kart. Its cheaper than a Car and safer than a Bike. If I only get to drive it for fun a couple times a year and racing a clock, thats OK with me.

Gotta get to work!!! ūüôā

Paul M. Petrun
    Participant

Hey Robert ‚Äď have you seen this? http://www.nelsonledges.com/2017/06/08/update-june-8/

Stopped by to mention this.  Glad you guys know about it already.  I would definitely be in for a track day at Nelsons.  Also if you can work one in for Pittrace count me in there.  I am planning to run the DartKart pittrace weekend as well.  Hope you all have a safe and fantastic weekend at MO!

Paul

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Gutwrenching, completely deflating………

Worked my tail off today getting Rich’s car just right, dont want him to have any issues to complain about! Just¬†finishing up¬†there were¬†a couple minor things to nail down and wanted to know his¬†preference on their location.¬†While waiting for him to call after work I decided to put water in my kart and see if it would start…..

Never got that far. After adding water I noticed a crack in the cylinder. Its a water leak, in a difficult area to repair. I took it to Tony, he welded it up ok but I had to remove some weld to get the nut on the stud and now it leaks worse. JW believes the cylinder cracked at that area because it had stuck really hard.

I’ll take it back to Tony tomorrow evening, but I don’t expect to get a different result. I have an¬†older homologation cylinder but it will need replating before use.

Funny thing is, I wasn’t even mad. A bit beside myself at how my stupidity seems to have piled up. 1 quart of fuel back in April…. 1 quart…. and I’m not having this conversation.¬†That could very well be $500 quart of fuel!

I will absolutely offer to be, as Harry would say, “Rich’s Pit Man” (RPM)¬†for the weekend and get him running.¬†I don’t think he’ll go for it though. We’ll see but it looks like we may miss¬†our “Retirement Party”!!!!

On the upside, YES, there is an upside!!! The Trailer looks AWESOME!!!¬†¬†ūüôā

“RPM”

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hey Paul,

Didn’t see your post there.¬†Its been a long time!

With the latest mechanical development on my end, “surface testing” may be next on the schedule for me. I’m still trying to find a¬†4 day¬†stretch in a week that works for all these facilities so we can do them all¬†in 1 trip.

Nelson was great fun even when it was rough. The full PittRace course will be super competitive.¬†I’m very interested in¬†Pocono. There is great potential there if we can put together a suitable configuration. AND, its very affordable in comparison.¬†Have to get¬†out there and run on it¬†and get some answers.

I’ll post info and video here. Good to hear from you!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Moving on, sent Tony a text to just get himself loaded to go… we are “out”.

I hope and pray Y’all have great weather, great racing, and most of all a safe enjoyable weekend!

TRAVEL SAFELY & Good Luck to all at Mid-Ohio!!!!!

(I will be watching on Race Monitor)

Robert Lawson
    Participant

A very busy weekend.

I did watch some racing on Race Monitor and had to make a few calls to guys at the track to find out why the times were all over the place. I assumed weather conditions¬†were at¬†play but it didn’t explain why a few, in different classes, were still running expected times for that classification. The few that looked to hit it right, were just gone, and won by large margins! Crazy!

Most impressive were Andy Kiker and Ron White on Saturday. Just wow!

As I said, I was busy this weekend. But that story will have to wait another few days……..¬†¬†ūüôā

RPM

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 291 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication