Home Forums Road Racing Track Day Talk

This topic contains 241 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 1 day, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 242 total)
  • Author

Albert McCracken
    Participant

Hey there I’d love to join, just found out about this at the last minute, sent you an email!

Gregory Stamm
    Participant

Robert,

After getting home this weekend, I find I have more to do than I anticipated.  I will not be able to attend this weekend.  Thanks for putting these together, sorry I have to back out at the last minute.

Greg

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Albert, welcome!

It was good to speak with you this AM and I’m sure you will enjoy the format and atmosphere of these Test Days.

Greg,

I hear ya. I will have to hustle now as well with the set backs. We do not intend to go racing until M-O. Worst case, we use the Friday down there to work things out. REALLY looking forward to M-O, last race/drive there was 07′!!!!

Good News: Belding Weather, Saturday April 8th:

Warmer with plenty of sunshine

High: 54, Real Feel: 58, Precip: 6% 

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Robert Lawson.

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Robert:  Bummer but I won’t be making it up there this weekend.  Equipment issues.  Details are in your email.  Everybody have fun and be safe!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Guys,
    I just spoke to both Brothers at the Track. It has rained out there for 4-5 days and the ground in the known trouble areas are absolutely saturated. The chance of water draining across the track in T1 is very likely.

So, I called a few of the “long distance” guys and they have no problem with waiting it out until Sunday. It puts them back home rather late but a dry track is worth waiting for. This buys us the most amount of time for the Facility to potentially dry and have a consistant track to test on.

We are officially moving the test from Saturday April 8th TO Sunday April 9th.

I will be at the track Saturday afternoon by 3pm and staying overnight.

Any questions please ask here or shoot me an email: f-125@hotmail.com

Thanks Guys!!!!

Dennis Chappell
    Participant

probably a good move Robert Sunday looks to be a warm one.

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Glad I checked this thread before I left! The overnight temps will be a lot more bearable.

I’ll be there late afternoon Saturday.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I was able to reach everyone except Randy McDaniel, and Dean Axe.

If anyone looking in here know these guys please give them a heads-up.

Dennis, I’m going to leave here as early as I can Saturday. We’ll check it out on arrival and start sweeping if we have to!!!!

With the added paperwork of waivers, passes, and a tech sheet, please get to the track as early as possible. Gate should be open by 7am and we want to have a meeting no later than 8:30.

Thanks Again Guys!!!!

Greg Wright
    Participant

Robert, I texted Dean Axe this morning.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Greg Wright
    Participant

Robert,  Dean Axe is now aware of the change, Randy McDaniel is coming with him so you’re covered.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Thanks Greg!

Dean and I are playing a bit of tag right now, I just gave his answering machine a detailed update!!! 🙂

Im getting out there to finish loading so we are ready to head out as early as possible tomorrow AM. Got a last minute trip to the grocery for soda’s and BBQ sauce too!!! Looking forward to comparing these pipes on a DRY track!!!
    Y’all have a SAFE trip out, we will see you Sunday morning!

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Wow, I’m still exhausted!

Short version:

*Perfect weather, a bit of wind later but no biggie.
    *Curt and Max did a great job to prepare the track for us, NO water issues!!!!
    *I learned ALOT about “this side” of the fence!! (kudos to the Clubs, Orgs, and Promoters – its an absolutely thankless job at times!)
    **Higher volume pipe made kart “zoom-zoom”!!!
    ***I believe the crank went out of it at 4:59 PM local time!!! 🙂

Attendance was awesome! The upper paddock was packed!!!! Curt completely out did himself, that Brisket was incredable.

Will check out the damage later this week but I have no complaints. The Kart was SUPER FAST. All in all it was a very productive day for everyone. The EMT’s had a quiet day, the Tow guys got a nice “color” to them, and the Marshall’s didn’t mind working with Kenny this time!!! (just kidding Bro!)

Long version and video later….

Thanks everyone!

Bob Cole
    Participant

Robert,  That’s for all you do getting this together. Even though I’m only there to help out it’s a blast to see newbies on a road course without the pressures of all the traffic in practice on race day.  Drivers with many years racing trying two or more different noses, or pipes, or engines which they wouldn’t have time to do on race weekends. My brother finally took part in Sunday, and he’s sore but very happy he was at the test day.       Your timing was right on weather wise, it rained three times during the day and around 830 pm we had a tornado warning and flooding, I bet the park along the river is higher now.            Again Robert thanks for putting on a great Sunday, signed Tow Guy with “COLOR”

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hey, YOU are the man Bob!!! That goes for Dennis too!!!

Anyone that has a smile on their face all day, at the track, with NO kart….and WORKING, has to be sick or just simply LOVES the Sport!!!!

My brother Kenny got his long awaited ride in Dennis Bernier’s Anderson TM KV95. I was so busy that I missed it, would love to have followed him around and got some film!!!! They said “He kept trying to find 7th gear!!!!” Hiliarious!!! 🙂

That ride got the ole juice flowin. In the Monday recap phone call he claims he feels he “Can Win” in that kart….. amazing what 5 laps will do!!! Too funny!

On a different note, I was stunned at how many people come out with a kart and no cash. Thanks to Greg for the heads up on that PayPal thingy, it seems like everyone has a smartphone and a credit card (or a friend/relative in the next vehicle with cash) so for the most part it worked out. I’ll tell you this, if Cherri was sitting out there it might have been a different story.

We had more than 60 folks for Lunch, a bit more than I anticipated! Not sure how it happened but we had exactly enough Beef to feed everyone! Reminds me of a Sermon!!!! 🙂

We dont usually see a group that size for these Test Days. Of course there were problems, liability issues, with folks just not using their heads, but as I said I learned a bunch.

I have to thank everyone involved. The Marshalls were great and worked with Kenny and Rich in the Paddock to get announcements out about on track infractions and procedure. My buddy Chuck came along, as usual, and helped not just me with the kart but with the Tech too. Its good to have a couple Bro’s you can trust to help out. Never had to be concerned about pick-up with the Cole Brothers on the job, thanks Guys!!

Curt and Max Faasen worked double overtime on the track Friday and Saturday. They dug out an area in the sandtrap outside T1 and ran a pump all night Friday to remove any excess water. There was damage to the surface where the water was seeping up through and they did everything they could to prepare it so we could run all day Sunday. They may be “Down Home” type Boys at a “local road course” but they went the extra mile for us and THAT was very much appreciated. I avoided that repair as much as possible but inevidablely did run right over it without issue. Max was very concerned about it, not HIS track but OUR saftey. He said ” I know how damn fast you guys are running down there and….. just be careful tomorrow.”  As I was parked outside the gate selling wristbands Curt wandered out of the MX garage when the first session got underway. He tilted his head up and took a big wiff & smiled… “Man I love that smell, its been a long Winter!!!” These are good hearted guys, they do care about us and I wanted to share that with Y’all.

We did the rolling start with a few karts for the last run of the day. I only intended to run 5-6 laps then get a start on loading up…. but that didn’t happen! For some reason I just decided to go until they kicked me off at 5pm, a good 20 – 30 minute run. We took off, ran a couple laps, I slowed to get karts on the film, no one came by, slowed again, finally a few karts to play with. I was trying to run down Jason in Larry’s B-stk, I was gaining but he pulled off…. so I decided to finish it up. On the last lap of the day, going back to the gas in T1 it locked up hard. It sounded and felt just like the last time the Rod went out of it. Funny thing is, when it went out that first time, I was on the last lap of Practice at a May event preping the kart for Mid-Ohio. Although it was scheduled for a topend after Grattan this weekend, we were doinig the exact same thing! I missed the race at Mid-Ohio that year……

Well, we will find out just what kind of damage was done later in the week.

Thanks to all those who helped out, and to the drivers and families that participated. We had a pretty nice day, it was safe and everyone made it back home in one piece!!!!

Peace Y’all!!!!
    Here is an early run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKbbdLuBfQ

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Daniel Barth
    Participant

Robert,

Thanks to you and team for organizing and facilitating the day. Awesome track time and relaxed atmosphere. Track was in great shape considering the recent weather. The Barth boys appreciate all the effort and look forward to more of these in the future!

Dennis Chappell
    Participant

Robert

Thanks again for another year of hard work putting this practice deal together. You and your crew do a great job. Good track time, people, food, and fun. Also weather.

The Chappell’s

Jerry Revely
    Participant

Robert,

Many thanks for putting these events together. By far the best bang for the buck.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Todd, sweet pic. I saw you there for a lap or 2!

Daniel, I know you waited a long time since getting rained out in October. It was worth the wait though, great weather, good food, and better Company!

Dennis, good to have you and “Mom” out for the day and a half!! How did you get on with the new RV? You both looked well rested!!!! 🙂

Jerry, hope you and Pops had a good time although cut a bit short. As usual the first kart to fire up and speed out onto the Track was that familiar white S/E!!!

You are all very welcome!

The hard work and stress over the Insurance, being properly protected, concocting rules and forms of Liability, and at the last minute that dreaded rain earlier in the week that tried to ruin everything just took its toll. I only got 2 hours of sleep at the track.

Got out there today to take a look at the damaged engine. I’m going to blame this on simple stupidity and a lack of sleep….. I ran it out of gas and it stuck! The tank had 1/2″ of fuel, just enough to cover the pick-up. Any surging and it was drawing air. The lines were empty and the carb had 13ML of fuel…. just under 1/2 an ounce. Rich and I did throw fuel in it well before that last run but we didn’t fill it up, I never intended to run that entire session. It just kinda happened!!!

Rookies take note, you can play with these things most of your life and still pull bone head moves! 🙂

If the chrome isnt hurt we will have done no harm…. it was due for a top end anyhow.

This has fueled my interest in getting another engine again. There is the possibility of putting the Vortex on Richies kart and getting…. something else, for me! We’ll see….

Last run of the day:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFAjyI_uOwk

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Damage report:

After removing the aluminum,  the Chrome is fine! The exhaust ribs are both cracked………… but the Chrome is fine!! 🙂

Hmmm, cordless drill….box of screws….clear a spot on the garage wall….

Its certianly the hassle free way to go!!! 🙂

Robert Lawson
    Participant

OK, I’m over it!

Will be sending out my jug and one for Rich in the next few days. Will need to have a running kart for the next thing I’m going to throw out there.

Anyone interested in testing at PittRace (aka the Beav) prior to the AKRA event there? Maybe a week day, its cheaper for everyone involved and I might be able to get a combo going with some bikes too.

I still intend to get over there and cut some laps, (hense a “running kart”…) and talk with Dave very soon. Will also try that Pocono trip, maybe at the same time. WGI is out of the question. Can it be done? Sure. It would take a great number of prepaid interest WELL in advance of any possible date. Thats how WGI plays it, so sure its possible, but I wont gamble the 401K on it.

Well, at least not before the kart is running again!!!! 🙂

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Off to the USPS this afternoon, cylinders are boxed up and headed to US Chrome.

Not a peep about PittRace huh? Is anyone planning that far out intending to  run the AKRA gig there? Man I certianly hope so! I have been there, we ran the original course and even though that  circuit was a bit short it was a nice place. The garages were awesome! The full course will be a great challenge and a very raceable layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M84kH2LSvi8

RPM

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

I’m going to run the AKRA event and if you do testing there my buddy and I would be interested.  That track is much closer than Grattan for us so we could get over there pretty easy.

Jeremy Baldi

TM K9b F-125 Laydown

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Jeremy,

Thats good news. I’m hoping we can get a good bunch of guys interested in a practice/test day out there.

Have you figured out how (or “if”) you will run the CIK in Unltd/F-125 with bodywork?

I spoke to the guy at US Chrome yesterday, they received our stuff and called to verify the instructions I sent. Should have it all back in 2 weeks, plenty of time to make Mid-Ohio….. which reminds me…. I better call Claudio and order another top end!

RPM

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Robert Lawson.

Todd Stoffer
    Participant

Not a peep about PittRace huh? Is anyone planning that far out intending to run the AKRA gig there? Man I certianly hope so! I have been there, we ran the original course and even though that circuit was a bit short it was a nice place. The garages were awesome! The full course will be a great challenge and a very raceable layout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M84kH2LSvi8 RPM

I’ve been waiting to run on their “South Track” since it was first proposed almost 20 years ago under the original management. Now that the new pavement is down on both circuits it looks like an awesome track. I’m planning on the AKRA race there and if you can get us another day  of practice I’ll be there as well. Only two hours away from me… 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 242 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication